Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system
These spherical satellite speakers have startling sound quality
- Excellent clarity, great quality mid-bass from subwoofer, super-modern looks
- Only suitable for small and medium rooms, competent amplifier required, no banana plug connectors
If you're looking for a compact home theatre system that has great sound quality, Orb Audio's People's Choice home theatre system is one of the most competent we've heard. Available for a surprisingly reasonable price, the system is stylish and well suited to medium-sized listening areas. We noticed a small amount of distortion at high volume levels; for all but the most strenuous listening the People's Choice system performed well, however.
Price$ 1,184.00 (AUD)
Note: the Orb Audio People's Choice is priced at US$1098. The price listed above is the approximate cost in Australia dollars at the time of this review.
The Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system is a set of five satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer. Despite needing to be shipped from the US, the system isn't excessively expensive. The speakers can be ordered in a huge range of different configurations and finishes, allowing for significant customisation. Sound quality from the small satellite speakers is good, with high levels of detail, and the compact subwoofer is capable of delivering significant low-frequency punch.
The People's Choice home theatre system is, unsurprisingly, the most popular configuration ordered off Orb Audio's Web site. Consisting of double-speaker front and centre channels and single-speaker rears, it allows for 5.1 surround sound in its default packaging — but you can get additional channels for 6.1 or 7.1 sound. You can also select triple- or quadruple-speaker designs for any channel, increasing power handling and volume output. The speakers take bare wire connections — no banana plug connections are available — and you'll need to supply an amplifier yourself. We used the more-than-capable Pioneer VSX-LX52 to supply the 110W that each individual speaker can handle. Our test system was finished in copper, but glossy black, white, steel and bronze finishes can also be selected for an additional price.
The Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system delivers on its promise of big-speaker sound quality in a small package. The small satellite speakers are able to output crisp, clear audio with a slight emphasis on sweet treble, making them great for movie dialogue. Mid-range is also well represented though slightly recessed — we found that a little boost from our amplifier's equaliser brought out the warmth in vocals and acoustic music. When listening to a properly mastered surround audio track — a few scenes from Terminator: Salvation and The Dark Knight caught our attention — the speakers performed exceptionally well, soundly beating similar sized 'home theatre in a box' setups from other companies such as Sony and LG.
Detail levels are excellent with subtle audio cues easily audible in both treble and mid-range frequencies. We often felt as if we were listening to much larger speakers. The system has reasonable spatial definition and the two front left and right stereo speakers are able to create a wide soundstage when placed an appropriate distance apart.
Bass performance was also excellent in almost all areas given the small size of the system. We used the Super Eight subwoofer, which relies on its namesake 8in driver and 200W in-built amplifier to produce strong bass from as low as 28Hz. It doesn't have the stomach-trembling power of a 12in driver, but its low frequency performance was tight and almost free of annoying decay or bloat. We had no problems cranking this subwoofer to high volumes, with no evident over-extension or audible distortion. While each small speaker can handle an impressive amount of volume, the system does start to struggle at high power levels. Harshness begins to creep in on treble and the sound generally becomes less composed and more ragged. If you have a large home theatre room we'd certainly opt for some of the triple- or quadruple-speaker towers for the increased power handling — but this will involve a significant price hike.
Orb Audio's People's Choice home theatre system is an excellent performer for small and medium sized rooms, giving detailed audio in a compact package with modern styling. If you don't want traditionally squat, heavy speakers cluttering your living space, give these a try. The company offers a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, though you will have to pay shipping costs both ways if you change your mind.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTClinical Application Support Specialist - PermanentQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- CCSQL Server Database AdministratiorNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse Developer, Power BIOther
- FTData Migration & SQL AdministratorVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSenior MySQL Database Administrator - SydneyQLD
- FTData Analysts/ EngineersWA
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTProject Administrator/Junior Project ManagerOther
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- TPBusiness Analysis, Design and Configuration ManagerQLD
- FTService Modeller/DesignerACT
- FTTelco Project Coordinator - $520 per dayOther
- FTAX Dynamics 365 Solution/ Technical Architect/ Develope/ConsultOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA