Optus World Cup mobile broadband modem
This limited edition USB modem has a better design than Optus' regular prepaid offerings
- Excellent swivel design, interchangeable covers, microUSB slot, plug-and-play
- Frequently erratic network performance
The design of the Optus World Cup mobile broadband modem provides a number of benefits over the telco's regular range, but you'll experience the same erratic network performance.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The FIFA World Cup may be over but Optus is still selling its limited edition World Cup mobile broadband modems. Available in Lucas Neill (post-paid) or Tim Cahill (prepaid) flavours, the limited edition packs offer a better designed USB modem than Optus' regular prepaid options but deliver the same patchy experience with the telco's flaky network.
The Optus World Cup mobile broadband packs don't provide any radical performance improvements over Optus' regular broadband modems. The redesigned modem includes an innovative USB swivel mechanism that folds away when not in use; it can be positioned like a regular USB stick, or sit on a 90 degree angle so it won't block access to an adjacent USB port. This also minimises risk of breaking the modem or damaging your USB port if you bump it when it's plugged int. A small button on the modem flicks out the USB connector when you're ready to connect it.
The Optus World Cup mobile broadband modem also features interchangeable covers on the front and rear. Optus bundles two extra covers in the sales package, and users can choose from Tim Cahill (prepaid) or Lucas Neill (post-paid) designs, complete with FFA and Optus logos. The rear cover hides the USB modem's SIM card and microSD card slots. Optus includes a 1GB microSD card in the package, and it comes preloaded with exclusive World Cup content: wallpapers, a video file of Optus' World Cup commercial (yes, that one with the rhinos and tigers) and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the commercial.
Software supporting both Windows and Mac is included on the USB stick itself, and installation occurs automatically. Once installed, the software allows you to connect and disconnect from Optus' 3G network and provides basic connection information (download and upload speeds) and links to My Usage (a Web page with your usage statistics). You can also send and receive SMS messages using the software, which, unsurprisingly, is themed with Optus World Cup images.
The Optus World Cup mobile broadband modem provides a theoretical maximum download speed of 7.2 megabit per second (Mbps) and 2Mbps uplink. In GoodGearGuide's Broadband Speed Test, the modem managed an average downlink speed of 1456 kilobits per second (Kbps) and an uplink speed of 1117Kbps.
The modem downloaded a 92.5 megabyte iTunes installation package in 10min 53sec — an average speed of around 128 kilobytes per second (KBps). The speeds are what we would expect from a 7.2Mbps wireless broadband modem. We found the Optus connection was often erratic, regularly switching between a HSDPA and a slower WCDMA 3G connection during use.
The Optus prepaid World Cup mobile broadband modem can be purchased for $79 which includes 1GB of data. Post-paid plans start at $15 per month and range up to $55 per month.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Telstra reveals NBN payment plan amid market headwinds
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- Telstra says some of its NBN customers paid for unachievable speeds
- Australian broadband speed ranking drops again despite NBN rollout
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTERP Consultant - Project SystemsQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Integration Platform ProjectQLD
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTProject Manager unique start up opportunity.NSW
- FTAgile Business Analyst, CXOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- FTJunior DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- TPeLearning Developer / TrainerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Architect (EUC)Other
- FTBid ManagerOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCSQL Server DeveloperQLD
- FTICT Deployment Engineer / Field Service TechnicianQLD
- FTDomain ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Network ConsultantOther
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC