- Good video quality, inexpensive HD support
- Some features require advanced knowledge
While the device offers clean, clear images for anybody looking to make the switch to digital television, a few slight glitches make it unsuitable for the mainstream.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
It has been a long time coming, but digital television is just starting to take off in Australia. Most channels are broadcasting supplementary content in addition to their regular programming, with SBS and ABC leading the way. Many vendors are looking to capitalise on the boom by offering digital set-top boxes designed to convert these digital signals into a format that can be played back on the average TV.
Optima's DTRA10HD00 set-top box features silver and black trim and measures 39 x 26 x 8cm; easily allowing it to fit into just about any hi-fi cabinet. It's also relatively light, tipping the scales at a reasonable 2.4kg.
The front fascia offers menu, volume, channel change and "ok" buttons to drive navigation, while the rear panel houses all the cable attachments. RF antenna in and out connectors are provided as a standard, along with component, composite, S-video, VGA and DVI outputs. A S/PDIF digital audio adapter is also present, along with a serial port for performing firmware upgrades on the hardware.
The rear face includes a switch to toggle between 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i output modes, and another to select between DVI, VGA and component destinations. While this sort of manual switching is fine for an advanced user, a novice may have some difficulties in selecting the appropriate output. What's more, this function should be driven from the remote control instead of the backplate, as changing settings could involve removing the device from a hi-fi cabinet.
The system is relatively quick to set up - it takes just takes just a few minutes to scan for channels, and the remote control and menu system combined to make navigation straightforward for anybody comfortable with new technology. However, it can be a little bit daunting for beginners and we didn't find the manual to be a tremendous help.
In operation, the DTRA10HD00 works extremely well, offering both 4:3 standard and 16:9 widescreen support and MPEG-2 HD/SD decoding. The device will automatically downmix 5.1 AC3 audio to two channel Dolby Prologic Surround sound for output through stereo speakers, and the audio quality is surprisingly good. 1080i / 720p / 576p video modes are available through both component and VGA outputs, while composite and S-video offer both PAL and NTSC formats. Teletext is also available, and the entire system is backed up by a one year warranty.
The Optima DTRA10HD00 represents good value for anybody looking to make the switch to digital television, but unfortunately the company is only currently making it available as a bundle with their plasma TVs.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTRecruitment Consultant- Internal Vacancy -NSWOther
- CCSolution Architect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CCDigital DesignerNSW
- CCNetwork Security SpecialistVIC
- CCHFC Project Officer (Governance Support) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTLead Java Developer- DevOpsOther
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- TPSenior Business AnalsytACT
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Change Analyst - ERP implementationOther
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical Integration LeadOther
- FTGlobal Product ManagerOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)SA
- FTReporting and Compliance Lead (Security Practice)Other
- FTSenior DevOps EngineerOther
- FTCRM Solution ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperQLD
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- FTSAP Functional & Technical Analyst- SD, BPC, HCM, AR,Time & PayOther
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther