OpenTel ODT 4200 PVR
- Accessible on-screen interface, good remote, dual tuners
- Crummy timeshifting, no HD support
An inexpensive digital PVR, the OpenTel lacks anything to really knock your socks off.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
With an 80GB internal hard disk and the most basic of feature sets, the OpenTel ODT 4200PVR is not going to set anybody's world on fire. It's serviceable, however, as long as you're not a huge fan of timeshifting.
The timeshifting implementation can be charitably described as poor. It's not always on--you have to initialise it manually--and then the whole system pauses for a few seconds before it kicks in. Fast-forwarding through the timeshift buffer is jerky and inconsistent--and you can't rewind at all.
The 4200PVR does not support HD at all, though it does have two internal tuners, allowing you to watch one SDTV program while recording another. It uses an aerial loop-through, so you only need one aerial source for both tuners. The supplied remote is of a very high quality--solid and comfortable, allowing easy access to the most desirable functions of the PVR. Your list of recorded programs can be made to appear at the touch of a button, as can the interface for scheduling new recordings. It also has a couple of handy buttons that allow you to jump from channel multiplex to multiplex, skipping all the simulcast channels that are so common in Australian DTV.
The on-screen interface is also easily navigable, and very responsive. The pause between channel changes has been kept to a minimum, saving you from one of the most frustrating aspects of digital television set-top boxes. Scheduling recordings is extremely well implemented; the task can be accomplished in a matter of seconds. EPG information is kept with the recorded video, so you don't have to figure out what that program you recorded on July 7 at 10:00 might be.
The OpenTel can connect to your TV set via an antenna cable or through the TV's composite RCA inputs. It also boasts two SCART outputs, as well as an S/PDIF port for digital audio.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTProject Coordinator - Heavy Vehicle Regulation & LegislationOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCFilenet Developer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCHelpdesk Support roleNSW
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSenior DeveloperWA
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT
- CCService Designer - GovernmentNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- CCMultiple Xamarin DevelopersVIC
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTSystems Co-ordinator / AdministratorOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- FTTelco Core Network Support EngineerOther
- FTProcess SME (Continuous Improvement)Other
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTJunior Applications Support AnalystOther