onOne Genuine Fractals 6
An enlargement tool is key to every print-based designer’s toolset
- Excellent enlargements; better than main rival Blow Up at larger scaling
- The Professional Edition’s CMYK support is pricey if you don’t want its other, photographer-specific functions
Geniune Fractal’s main draw over Blow Up 2 is that once you get over 250 per cent, results are more detailed. However, if you don’t generally enlarge images beyond 200 per cent, Blow Up 2’s more affordable CMYK support could make it the better option.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
An enlargement tool is key to every print-based designer’s toolset: such creatives often have to deal with images that aren’t high-res enough, and Photoshop’s own Image Size dialog’s enlargements are blurry and lacking in detail.
Genuine Fractals 6 is available in two versions. Both feature the same scaling engine, but the Standard Edition supports RGB images only. The Professional Edition works with CMYK images, has Gallery Wrap, and can run as a plug-in for Lightroom and Aperture (if you have Photoshop).
Gallery Wrap reflects the edges of images outwards so that canvas prints have bleed without cropping your image. It’s of niche interest – as are Aperture and Lightroom support for non-photographers. So most designers will still be paying almost twice the price of the Standard Edition for CMYK, and feeling ripped off.
Geniune Fractals’ main rival, Alien Skin’s Blow Up 2, offers CMYK support as standard but is sold online for US$249, so due to exchange rate changes, it isn’t as affordable as it used to be – but it’s still substantially less expensive. Blow Up 2 also supports the 64-bit version of Photoshop, which Genuine Fractals doesn’t.
New in both versions of Genuine Fractals is a batch-processing system that works with folders of images, and can produce two versions of images – at different sizes and with different settings (which Blow Up can’t). They also gain texture-control presets.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP BI / BW ArchitectOther
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTSOE ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- FTAgile Business Analyst, CXOther
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - Permanent OpportunityQLD
- CCDevOps Engineers x 3VIC
- TPSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCSystems Engineers / Infrastructure EngineersNSW
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectOther
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- FTSenior Systems Analyst - Network/InfrastructureOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Engineer - Data CentreNSW
- FTSenior Environment or Platform level Environment ManagersVIC
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- FTFront-End Developer - BankingVIC
- FTAssociate Consultant - Help DeskNSW
- FTScrum Master, Marketing ProgramOther
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Federal GovernmentOther
- FTClient PrincipalOther