Sometimes an excellent operating system can be made even better
onOne Genuine Fractals 6
An enlargement tool is key to every print-based designer’s toolset
- Excellent enlargements; better than main rival Blow Up at larger scaling
- The Professional Edition’s CMYK support is pricey if you don’t want its other, photographer-specific functions
Geniune Fractal’s main draw over Blow Up 2 is that once you get over 250 per cent, results are more detailed. However, if you don’t generally enlarge images beyond 200 per cent, Blow Up 2’s more affordable CMYK support could make it the better option.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
An enlargement tool is key to every print-based designer’s toolset: such creatives often have to deal with images that aren’t high-res enough, and Photoshop’s own Image Size dialog’s enlargements are blurry and lacking in detail.
Genuine Fractals 6 is available in two versions. Both feature the same scaling engine, but the Standard Edition supports RGB images only. The Professional Edition works with CMYK images, has Gallery Wrap, and can run as a plug-in for Lightroom and Aperture (if you have Photoshop).
Gallery Wrap reflects the edges of images outwards so that canvas prints have bleed without cropping your image. It’s of niche interest – as are Aperture and Lightroom support for non-photographers. So most designers will still be paying almost twice the price of the Standard Edition for CMYK, and feeling ripped off.
Geniune Fractals’ main rival, Alien Skin’s Blow Up 2, offers CMYK support as standard but is sold online for US$249, so due to exchange rate changes, it isn’t as affordable as it used to be – but it’s still substantially less expensive. Blow Up 2 also supports the 64-bit version of Photoshop, which Genuine Fractals doesn’t.
New in both versions of Genuine Fractals is a batch-processing system that works with folders of images, and can produce two versions of images – at different sizes and with different settings (which Blow Up can’t). They also gain texture-control presets.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Bitdefender unveils new 2019 product line
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Apple combats iPhone throttling backlash with new iOS 12 features
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies