- Support for DivX works well, very easy to use
- Doesn’t do that much, but isn’t really designed to, A tad expensive
A simple DVD player that does what it says on the box.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
In an age of home theatre where it seems that watching a DVD cannot be achieved without purchasing a 27.1 Hyper Surround Dolby Pro Plus 99 Active Bass Digital sound system with chocolate sauce and nuts, it is easy to forget that perhaps some people just want to watch a DVD on their TV. They have no need for fancy speaker setups trailing their wires all across the room, no need for subwoofers blasting the walls down, no need for ten thousand inputs or massive amplifiers. All they want to do is watch a DVD. Yes, these people really do exist.
The Onkyo DV-SP303 is a DVD player. All it does is play DVDs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a simple, petite little machine and sits unobtrusively in the corner, bashfully trying not to draw attention to itself. No outrageous styling here, the DV-SP303 is finished in a plain but attractive silver finish. The DV-SP303 is about as wide as a standard DVD player but much slimmer and only about half as deep. The remote control looks like it could have been produced at any time in the last twenty years, again simple and straight to the point. Not one aspect of this system is superfluous.
Onkyo clearly have in mind the basic user who only wants to watch DVDs, yet doesn't want to sacrifice on quality. Although the DV-SP303 may not be the most feature packed system on the market, we found it had good image quality and was a pleasure to use. The progressive scan technology gives images a sharp output and with Dolby Digital and DTS sound is nicely produced. Various sound options are accessible including an equalizer with several presets and virtual surround. Although this is fine for a basic system, it would have been nice to see a bit more functionality. Although they are limited, Onkyo have also managed to include most of the necessary outputs we like to see on DVD players. Component, S-Video, Coaxial and Optical are all present.
The DV-SP303's on-screen interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to navigate. Activating features like digital zoom, subtitles or changing the sound mode is all made very easy and works quite well. We liked the way that Onkyo provide a scene browser that allows the user to flick through chapters and titles, giving a short preview of each one. We thought it was better implemented than the scene browser that most DVDs come with and something that we'd like to see more of.
When we said earlier that all the DV-SP303 did was play DVDs we were perhaps understating things. It does have a few extras up its sleeves, such as DivX and JPEG support. DivX videos seemed to work perfectly on the player, as did MP3s, WMA files and JPEGs. Browsing data CDs is made easy through the on-screen navigational browser. Overall we thought the DV-SP303 was a nice little system. It may not do that much, but what it does, it does well. The price tag seems a little high for such a basic system, but if all you want is a DVD player, then the DV-SP303 will do the job nicely.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk Consultant/ Customer Service SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer (.Net)Other
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTSAP Environment LeadQLD
- FTBI Tech LeadOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer/ DesignerOther
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTPractice Director Quality Assurance – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTSystems Support EngineerOther
- FTCloud Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- FTJunior DeveloperOther
- FTPeopleSoft Business Analyst - PageUp implementationOther
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraOther
- FTPMO Project ManagerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTFront End Developer (AEM / Java)Other
- FTSalesforce Consultant - AdministrationQLD
- FTRelocate to Perth for Technology OpportunitiesQLD
- CCWintel Migration ArchitectNSW
- FTMobile Studio LeadOther