- Excellent audio quality, USB Key means plug-and-go, Build Quality
- Can’t charge via USB, Battery compartment springs open
For anyone whose job involves interviews, presentations and conferences or who needs instant memos, this is a must-buy. Audio quality, storage capacity and price are all superb.
Price$ None (AUD)
Dictaphones have come on in leaps and bounds over the past few years. The extra bang you get for your buck - thanks to higher-quality audio recording technology and cheaper flash memory - really makes a difference. The WS-200S from Olympus makes good use of today's technology, providing a lot of storage space at a reasonable price.
The WS-200S comes with 128MB of storage, providing up to 54 hours of recording in long-play mode, and the audio files are stored as WMA files. You can put the audio setting all the way up to Stereo High Quality, and while this only offers some four hours of recording, the audio quality is excellent. One rather nifty addition is that it snaps in half to reveal a USB key. This means the WS-200S is plug-and-go. You don't need any extra hardware or software to operate this Dictaphone and it can be used as a normal USB storage key so you can store data such as spreadsheets and presentations.
The bundle includes stereo headphones, a USB extension, a strap and one AAA alkaline battery. While it doesn't use much power, it would be better if you didn't need to buy replacement consumables. It would also be nice to be able to recharge from a PC or notebook when it's plugged in. Build quality is pretty good. Although the WS-200S is all plastic, it feels tough enough to cope with the rigours of travel. The buttons depress nicely, making it comfortable to use.
The only problem we found with the WS-200S was that it was easy to hit the spring-loaded battery flap when you're opening the hardware, making the battery pop out like a (not very) speeding bullet. However, if you're being driven mad by PowerPoint, a quick game of Russian Roulette might at least make the time pass more quickly.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTIteration Manager / Scrum Master - DigitalOther
- FTData Centre ManagerOther
- FTCloud Infrastructure Architect - Townsville Location - PermQLD
- FTSitecore DeveloperOther
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTPermanent Project SchedulerACT
- TPNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPDeployment Analyst - Office 2016 rolloutVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - Firewalls (Juniper )Other
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTICT Deployment Engineer / Field Service TechnicianQLD
- CCTechnical Writer - Based in BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTexecutive OfficerOther
- CCSolution Engineer - RF/HFC - TelcoVIC