Olympus Tough 850SW
- Shockproof, waterproof, snow-proof, speedy, sharp images, lots of features
- Some colour issues, slow burst mode
Another great tough model from Olympus, the Tough 850SW only improves on its predecessor in a few small ways but it is still one of the best options if you're after a camera that can take a little more grief than normal.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Olympus is really keeping the pressure on its competition with consistent, high quality refreshes of the company's compact camera range. The Tough 850SW is the cheaper of two new models in its Tough range and while it doesn't make many improvements over the Tough 790SW we looked at a while ago, it is still a great option for the more rugged photographer, or those who just want to take the worry out of their picture taking.
Packing in an 8-megapixel sensor, the 850SW captures some good quality images. They have a few issues but should satisfy the majority of users and are perfect for happy snap 4x6in prints.
Sharpness was no concern; our images came out with crisp clear edges and good resolution. There was some minor corner softening but it was in line with our expectations of a camera at this price point. Chromatic aberration was a little higher than normal, resulting in some purple fringing and flaring around areas of high contrast. This was mostly noticeable in our outdoor shots and was quite prominent towards the edges of the frame.
Colour balance has been improved a little from previous models, but it is still the weakest element of the 850SW's performance. There is no custom white balance mode, which results in some fairly inaccurate hues, most notably in indoor shots. Outdoors on the other hand was generally okay and the overall colour balance was soft and natural; typical of Olympus' other compacts.
Noise was kept well under control at low ISOs, with everything up to ISO 400 being adequate for small prints. If you plan on making enlargements you may wish to stick to ISO 200 and below, but even then the noise isn't so prominent that it really detracts from the image.
In our speed tests the 850SW performed surprisingly well. Past Tough models have been a little on the sluggish side but not this time. It exhibited 0.09 seconds of shutter lag, 1.7 seconds shot-to-shot time and a very speedy 1.4 seconds power up time, which should help capture those spontaneous shots in time.
Of course the real standout feature of this unit is, as you'd expect, the tough build. Shockproof from up to 1.5 metres it can survive the day to day knocks that other models would crumple under. Furthermore it is waterproof to 3 metres, which makes it ideal for the pool or beach. It also means you can throw it around at parties and not worry about drink spills. For a little extra toughness Olympus has also packed in snow-proof technology, meaning the 850SW will operate at temperatures down to -10 degrees Celsius.
Supporting all the tough features is a fairly robust feature set typical of Olympus compacts. There is face detect focus mode for all your portrait needs as well as a a basic two-frame per second burst mode. Image stabilisation is included and although it isn't as effective as the optical stabilisation present on some competing models it does the job. Shadow adjustment is also on board, which is designed to help bring detail out of dark areas. It is a mixed bag; it does increase detail in shadowed places but it often messes with the exposure a little, so use it sparingly. Olympus' panorama mode is also included, allowing even novice users to easily stitch together extremely wide shots without any kind of third-party software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager - Network Assurance - TelcoVIC
- FTNetwork Administrator / Junior Network OperatorOther
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- CCCloud Engineer - Amazon Web ServicesQLD
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Test Data Management ConsultantVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTClient PrincipalOther
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)VIC
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC
- FTCognos AdministratorOther
- CCPortfolio Manager - GovernanceVIC
- FTMarketing Communications ManagerOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTUI Designer | ContractOther
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- FTLead Business AnalystVIC
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther