Olympus PEN E-PL2 digital camera (preview)
We spend some time with the Olympus PEN E-PL2 Micro Four Thirds digital camera: Is this the perfect compact camera for shooting video?
- Video mode, autofocusing, extra Art filter, 3in screen LCD screen, high-resolution screen
- We'll be sure to discover any flaws when we give it a thorough workout in our Test Centre
The Olympus PEN E-PL2 Micro Four Thirds camera contains plenty of improvements over the PEN E-PL1, including much smoother video capture and better autofocus performance. We look forward to giving it a thorough workout once it's released.
The recently announced 12.3-megapixel Olympus PEN E-PL2 digital camera looks to be a doozy. We had the opportunity to briefly play around with it and we think it's likely to be one of the best interchangeable lens cameras available — especially for shooting video — once it's released in late February.
[Read our roundup of the best interchangeable lens/Micro Four Thirds digital cameras]
Olympus PEN E-PL2 front view.
The Olympus PEN E-PL2 digital camera retains the Micro-Four Thirds sensor and lens mounting design of the Olympus PEN E-PL1, as well as the same imaging system. However, there are some differences in the control layout on the body, the size and quality of the screen and the accessories shoe. There are even differences in the new lenses (including the kit lens) that will be available for the new camera. There have been many more changes made under the hood, too, with perhaps the biggest change coming in the way the camera shoots video.
With camcorder-like image stabilisation, the video that's shot with the PEN E-PL2 comes out very smoothly. The Live View display looks very smooth and the end result makes it look like you used a steady-cam to shoot the scene. Predictive algorithms are used to create this effect. From what we saw, the background doesn't bobble much (if at all) if you are on the move while you're shooting, and there isn't noticeable tearing in footage either. Focusing is very fast and reliable and you can even use autofocus tracking to home in on a particular subject and keep it in focus regardless of where it ends up in the frame (this works for stills as well).
The autofocus mechanisms in Olympus' range of lenses have also been improved. The new lenses (including the 14-42mm MkII kit lens) include what Olympus calls its Movies and Stills Compatible (MSC) drive system. The new drive system has shafts that have been created with micron-accuracy, and combined with smaller lens elements. The new lenses can focus faster and more smoothly than the older lenses. The kit lens that we saw also felt a lot sturdier than the kit lens that was provided with the E-PL1, and it's also slightly smaller. All the lenses in the new range except for the pancake lens will have the MSC drive system. In addition to current lenses, Olympus said it will also be releasing more prime lenses.
Accessories for the lenses will include converters that can be directly attached, such as a fisheye converter (FCON-P01), a wide-angle converter (WCON-P01) and a macro converter (MCON-P01). Some other cool accessories include a tentacle-like, two-arm macro light, and a Bluetooth module (called PENPAL) will also be available around March or April. These accessories plug in to the accessories shoe on the back of the E-PL2. This shoe is slightly different to the one on the E-PL1 so the new accessories won't work on the older camera, but the older accessories will work on the new camera.
The Macro Arm Light. Source: Olympus.
The Fish-eye adapter (FCON-P01). Source: Olympus.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJunior Test AnalystACT
- TPSenior Project Manager (CRIM)VIC
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Security (ICT Transformation)Other
- FT3 X Project Managers - Financial ServicesOther
- FTApplication Project ManagerOther
- FTTechnical Engineer - NPIOther
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTIT Security AnalystOther
- CCService DesignerACT
- CCUser Experience DesignerACT
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCAutomation Scripter - Data CentresWA
- FTFunctional Support Consultant (GIS)Other
- TPDeployment Analyst - Office 2016 rolloutVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW