- LCD is small, at 1.8 inches, buttons are well placed
- Lacks manual focus, startup is slow, around 4.5 seconds
Bland styling and a small LCD display detract for an otherwise impressive package.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The FE-120's case resembles a bar of soap, with rounded edges and recessed buttons. At just over 1.4 inches thick, it's slim enough to fit into a coat pocket or handbag, and at just over 5 ounces, it won't weigh you down. Its 3X zoom lens telescopes out of the front when you turn it on, and the controls sit nicely under your fingers when you hold the camera. Two buttons to the right of the screen allow you to flick quickly between playback and recording mode, and the mode dial is just below the zoom control; all are within easy reach of the thumb.
But in order to keep the price down, Olympus has cut some corners. For one thing, the FE-120's 1.8-inch LCD screen is rather weak: It's small, low in resolution (85,000 pixels), and hard to see in daylight- even indirect sunlight makes the display look pale and washed out. There is also no microphone for capturing sound to accompany the video the camera can record.
And photographers who want manual controls won't like this camera, as all of its controls are automatic. You can't set the ISO manually, and you get no shutter or aperture priority modes and no manual focus. White balance is fully automatic, as well; you can neither set it manually nor use presets. The FE-120 also omits a video output for viewing images on a TV.
Though all of these issues are fairly small, in the end this camera will appeal mostly to people who are happy with automatic modes. Experienced photographers would likely find the lack of manual controls frustrating.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- FTData ModellingACT
- CCSystem Analyst - AxwayNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTCapability Specialist | Business AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTFeature Team Lead - paying $725 per dayOther
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM ARCHITECT ? NV1 CLEARANCE REQUIREDACT
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSAP Payroll SpecialistOther
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTKofax Application DeveloperOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther