Olympus C-500 Zoom
- High-quality images, very fast data writing, close-up macro function
- Awkward design, some blurring at the base of images
This camera would serve most people's needs, but is not exceptional. We would only really recommend it if you do a lot of macro photography.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
To get noticed in the digital camera market, you really have to do something to stand out from the pack. Unfortunately, the Olympus C-500 doesn't manage this. It's competent but not great.
Shaped like an old film camera, it's bulky considering its features, and would be uncomfortable to hold for those used to other digital models. The thumbwheel is in a slightly strange position and is awkward to access. We also noticed the battery slot was unnecessarily difficult to close; a minor problem, but irritating nonetheless.
The camera offers a mediocre continuous shot function (which maxes out at a mere five shots) and a reasonable attempt at manual control, giving you power over aperture and shuttle speed. Combine this with 17 pre-programmed shot types and you have a strong set of features that outdoes many competing models.
The best thing about this camera is the quality of the shots. The C-500 takes some very pretty photos. It captured detail and colour particularly well. The only problem we noticed during our testing was that there was a tendency towards a little blurriness at the base of the picture.
The camera also exhibited lightning-fast recovery speed, with a lag as short as one second between taking shots. This compares extremely well with some other models in this category, which may require as long as three or four seconds before you can take another shot.
The other thing worth noting about the Olympus was its macro function. Macro is a function used to take pictures of things at extremely close range. Typically cameras that come equipped with a macro function can operate from somewhere between 5 and 10cm as a minimum distance. The C-500, on the other hand, can go as close as 2cm. It's handy if you're going to be doing lots of close-up work.
Join the newsletter!
"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Canon introduces PowerShot SX740
- Fujifilm expands production capacity
- Fujifilm introduces new range of interchangeable lenses
- Fujifilm launch the XF10 and new X-Series Lenses
- Canon launches first retail store in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies