Olympus C-500 Zoom
- High-quality images, very fast data writing, close-up macro function
- Awkward design, some blurring at the base of images
This camera would serve most people's needs, but is not exceptional. We would only really recommend it if you do a lot of macro photography.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
To get noticed in the digital camera market, you really have to do something to stand out from the pack. Unfortunately, the Olympus C-500 doesn't manage this. It's competent but not great.
Shaped like an old film camera, it's bulky considering its features, and would be uncomfortable to hold for those used to other digital models. The thumbwheel is in a slightly strange position and is awkward to access. We also noticed the battery slot was unnecessarily difficult to close; a minor problem, but irritating nonetheless.
The camera offers a mediocre continuous shot function (which maxes out at a mere five shots) and a reasonable attempt at manual control, giving you power over aperture and shuttle speed. Combine this with 17 pre-programmed shot types and you have a strong set of features that outdoes many competing models.
The best thing about this camera is the quality of the shots. The C-500 takes some very pretty photos. It captured detail and colour particularly well. The only problem we noticed during our testing was that there was a tendency towards a little blurriness at the base of the picture.
The camera also exhibited lightning-fast recovery speed, with a lag as short as one second between taking shots. This compares extremely well with some other models in this category, which may require as long as three or four seconds before you can take another shot.
The other thing worth noting about the Olympus was its macro function. Macro is a function used to take pictures of things at extremely close range. Typically cameras that come equipped with a macro function can operate from somewhere between 5 and 10cm as a minimum distance. The C-500, on the other hand, can go as close as 2cm. It's handy if you're going to be doing lots of close-up work.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCIntel Active Directory SpecialistNSW
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- TPTest Automation EngineerQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital BAOther