OKI Printing Solutions C3400n
- High-quality text printing, fast colour printing, compact size
- Expensive operating costs, no paper handling upgrades
This entry-level colour laser delivers high text quality and fast colour speeds, but operating costs are high.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The OKI Printing Solutions C3400n is a new low-end model in OKI's family of networked colour laser printers. It sports a design that's better suited to a small office than OKI's former corporate style, looking more like a stackable plastic storage box than a printer.
The C3400n falls short on good paper handling. Its main paper tray only holds 250 sheets, while it has a single-sheet slot in place instead of a 100-sheet manual tray. Though the C3400n retains the 250-sheet output bin (which gives a straighter path for thicker media), its rear-output capacity is only 10 sheets.
If you print many envelopes, you'd be better off looking for a printer that lets you feed more than one envelope at a time. OKI offers no optional paper trays, and lacks the option of a duplexer.
The C3400n has a simple control panel with two buttons and three lights, so most of the time you'll likely operate the printer from your PC.
The C3400n applies toner to the page using four LED arrays, a trait common to all OKI colour printers. In our tests, the C3400n printed text at a roughly average 15 pages per minute (ppm) and excelled at colour graphics, printing them at 5.3ppm at default settings on plain paper; it printed at 2.5ppm on glossy paper at best quality settings.
This model also offers improved text quality. Text output looked a little grey in our tests, and we noticed some jagged diagonals in large lettering, but most characters were sharp and nicely formed. Our line-art sample exhibited some minor horizontal banding in blocks of close parallel lines, but otherwise lines appeared sharp and distinct. Greyscale images achieved some good shadow detail, but looked a bit grainy with some narrow horizontal banding. On plain paper, the printer's rich, waxy inks give a glossy photographic appearance, but the images appeared grainy and oversaturated. When we printed at higher quality settings on OKI's Premium White Gloss paper, we still saw banding patterns, unnatural colours, and some posterisation (lack of smooth gradient) in the darkest areas.
For maintenance, the top of the printer lifts to give easy access to the toner cartridges. OKI includes four cartridges, each rated for 1000 pages. Black cartridges rated at 2500 pages cost $46.20, while the three 2000-page colour cartridges cost $70.92 each. Adding to the operating costs, you must replace the four cartridge units every 15,000 pages; the black cartridges costs $55 and the colour cartridges cost $60.50 apiece.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCWintel Messaging Engineer l Office 365 / Exchange / Skype for Business / AzureNSW
- FTSenior Portfolio Analyst. 12 month contract.NSW
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Blue Chip ClientOther
- CCLevel 1 Service deskNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPProject Manager - MortgagesNSW
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- FTChange Analyst, Transformation, SAPOther
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DevelopersACT