Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones
Handle your music and phone calls with these Bluetooth headphones
- Excellent sound quality, decent build quality, wired and wireless connections, solid voice call performance, punchy bass, good noise cancellation
- Ears quickly become hot, mid-range lacks detail, slight background hissing in Bluetooth mode, expensive
The Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones are among the best sounding wireless headphones we've reviewed. They aren't perfect and obviously won't attract audiophiles, but the convenience of using a wired or wireless connection, the range of bundled accessories and the ability to handle phone calls make these headphones an impressive product -– albeit one with a premium price.
Price$ 399.99 (AUD)
Looking like a regular pair of over-the-ear headphones, the Nokia BH-905 can wirelessly stream your music from a Bluetooth compatible phone or portable music player and can also handle phone calls. Featuring a built-in microphone, volume controls and a multifunction key that allows you to answer and end calls, the Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones possess surprisingly good audio quality and excellent noise-cancellation capabilities. However, the exorbitant cost is hard to swallow.
The Nokia BH-905 headphones boast an attractive black and silver design. The brushed metal style finish on the outside of the plastic ear-cups certainly adds a nice touch of style, as does the chrome edging. The black plastic headband gives the unit a professional look, without compromising on style. Build quality feels reasonably impressive — the plastic headband creaks when pressed, but the frame feels solid and the hinges rotate effortlessly.
The Nokia BH-905 headphones are quite large, but the headset is comfortable to wear for long periods. Both the ear-cups and the headband are finished with a soft leather-style pad filled with foam — this means the BH-905 never digs into your head or ears. A downside to the soft finish is that your ears become rather hot, even after just a few minutes of use.
Although wireless audio is the Nokia BH-905's key feature, you can use the headphones with a wired connection — the sales package comes with a 2.5mm Nokia jack connector, a 3.5mm Nokia jack, a standard 3.5mm jack, a larger 6.3mm jack and an airplane adapter.
Audio when using both wireless and wired connections is impressive and among the best we've heard from Bluetooth headphones, which are usually renowned for poor sound quality. The sounds is crisp and smooth overall, and the headphones handle bass particularly well — it's punchy but not overpowering. The mid-range lacks quite a bit detail and there is slight background hissing, a common fault with Bluetooth audio. The Nokia BH-905 headset definitely won't impress audiophiles (no Bluetooth headphones will), but the average consumer is certainly well catered for.
Noise cancelling is excellent for an over-the-ear design. Nokia claims the BH-905 uses 10 microphones to block external noise — eight microphones for capturing background noise and the other two to capture your voice during phone calls. The BH-905 has a noise-cancelling switch under the left ear cup and once activated the difference is notable. Crowded public buses and trains and noisy office colleagues (such as our sub-editor) were masked by the BH-905, but busy city traffic can still be heard.
The Nokia BH-905 can pair with any mobile phone with Bluetooth, but requires AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) for music control. As the iPhone 3GS lacks this profile (one of many disappointing Bluetooth limitations), we were unable to use the play/pause and skip track buttons on the BH-905.
For phone calls, the Nokia BH-905 will work with any Bluetooth mobile and call quality is surprisingly good. Incoming audio is excellent and we had no issues with it, while outgoing audio is best described as adequate — heavy background noise (such as busy city traffic or large crowds) could still be heard by our callers, and our voice was described as sounding rather unnatural. On the plus side, volume is adequate and conversations were clearly audible.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
- CES 2018: Jabra Announces Third-Gen of True Wireless Earbuds
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Jabra
- Sony Offer Some Hush in the Christmas Rush For Chatswood Shoppers
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTechnical Project OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC
- CCCISCO Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTCommunications SpecialistSA
- TPChange Manager - Services CatalogueQLD
- CCServer Support Specialist ? Performance and Capacity ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- TPSitecore DeveloperQLD
- FTOpenText ConsultantNSW
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- FTInternal Communications ConsultantSA
- FTSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCHR / Org. Development Business Analyst - Large Telco Contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- CCIteration / Project ManagerWA
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTExecutive Assistant (APS4)ACT