Nokia 3500 Classic
- Simplistic but stylish design, decent features list, impressive keypad and controls, user interface, Bluetooth, microSD card slot
- Poor resolution display, 2.5mm headphone jack, average camera
The 3500 Classic is compact, stylish and easy to use. If you're after a basic mobile phone containing all of the basics and a little more, this is one of the best options out there.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
A basic prepaid mobile targeted at first-time and low-end users, Nokia's 3500 Classic is a stylish, well built handset with some impressive features. Although it doesn't wow with its feature set, it nonetheless remains a solid handset thanks to an easy menu system and pleasant design.
The first thing you'll notice about the 3500 Classic is its design – this really does look like a much more expensive handset than it is. The plastic build feels solid, despite being incredibly light, while the gloss black front combined with the solid chrome edging adds a touch of class. Both the keypad and controls are impressive. Despite a sunken feel, each key is quite large and well separated, making them easy to press. The bright blue backlight in between the keys also adds a stylish touch. The five-way navigational pad and selection buttons do the grunt of the work and ensure the 3500 is a joy to use. In particular, we found messaging speeds exceptionally fast after just a short period of use.
Inside, this is a familiar Nokia handset, which is good news. The main menu is a simple 3x3 grid layout with the submenus in a list format. Each icon is clearly labelled and a short description is displayed if you leave the cursor on an icon for a few seconds – a feature ideal for first-time users who may not be familiar with certain functions. A downside is the display – it's not crisp or clear and is quite small, so it isn't the best for displaying rich content like photos and videos. On a handset at this price point though, we can't complain too much.
In terms of features, the 3500 Classic is solid, without being outstanding. SMS and MMS messaging with T9 predictive text input, a standard phone book, and the full array of PIM features such as an alarm clock, calendar, to-do list and calculator are all included. For multimedia, Nokia includes a 2.5mm jack handsfree headphones in the sales package and the handset has video and music players (with equaliser and stereo widening settings), an FM radio and a voice recorder. Conveniently, the 3500 includes a microSD card slot beneath the battery that can hold cards of up to 2GB.
Bluetooth and a standard mini-USB port for PC synchronisation mean the 3500 Classic is well equipped in terms of connectivity, especially considering its position in the lower end of the price spectrum. A 2-megapixel camera on the rear handles imaging, but it's fairly basic, lacking autofocus and a flash. The photos are decent enough to save as wallpapers on the phone, but poor colour reproduction and high levels of image noise are negatives – though these are a common trait of phone cameras in general and not just the 3500 Classic.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google wants to solve the Android update problem once and for all with Project Treble
- Intel concerned about name of John McAfee’s privacy phone
- Low-cost Android phones to get iPhone features with new Qualcomm chips
- Qualcomm's Quick Charge 4 is coming in phones midyear
- Apple's next iPhones may cut corners on memory due to price squeeze
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- CCABAP ConsultantACT
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorNSW
- TPPrincipal Data Analyst | ArcGIS | Power BI | QlikQLD
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTSenior Microwave Transmission EngineerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTTest AnalystACT
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- FTx3 Field EngineersVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCVDI EngineerACT