Nokia 1680 classic
“My first phone, my first camera.”
- Compact and lightweight design, VGA camera with video recording, user interface
- No Bluetooth, no flash on camera
If you’re after a cheap-as-chips handset as your first or perhaps second mobile, the 1680 classic is a decent choice. If you want Bluetooth, however, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Nokia's 1680 classic is marketed with the slogan “my first phone, my first camera”. This budget handset is cheap as chips and relatively well designed, but the lack of Bluetooth may be a turn-off for some, even considering the low price.
Nokia’s entry-level handsets are all very similar, with simple, no-fuss designs. This usually results in a design that may not turn heads but is compact and lightweight. The 1680 classic follows this trend. It's built of matte black plastic with a gloss black bezel surrounding the display and has rubber-style keys.
The display has surprisingly good viewing angles. It isn’t fantastic, but it does all it needs to considering the capabilities of this handset. The controls are flat and the rubber surface provides good tactility, though the lack of separation between rows may pose a problem for users with large fingers.
A VGA camera with self-portrait mirror is the highlight of the 1680 classic’s arsenal. The camera doubles as a video recorder, but it has no flash so it’s useless during low-light conditions. The camera is fine for taking photos to use as phone wallpaper, but it will naturally struggle to produce images for other uses. With just 10MB of internal memory, you won’t be taking many photos or videos.
The rest of the 1680’s features are fairly standard. SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging (all with T9 predictive text support) are included. Nokia Xpress Audio Messaging is also available. The familiar Symbian Series 40 interface is a highlight: even first-time users shouldn’t have any issues thanks to straightforward and clearly labelled menus.
Rounding out the package are three Java games, including Snake EX2, and a range of PIM functions, including a converter, expense calculator, alarm clock, calendar, to-do list, notes, calculator, timer and a stopwatch.
Virgin Mobile offers the 1680 classic for $69 on a prepaid plan, which includes $5 Free to V credit to be used in the first 30 days. Alternatively, it is free on a Free to V 20 post-paid cap.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTPermanent: Senior Infrastructure Technical Consultant - Cloud - MicrosoftVIC
- FTProgramme DirectorSA
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- FT.Net Developer- Active Baseline Clearance RequiredOther
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTField ConsultantOther
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- FTSAP CRM/UI5/Online Systems AnalystOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD