Nokia 1209 mobile phone
A basic and very cheap Nokia mobile phone.
- Cheap, compact, flashlight
- Tiny display, first row of keys too close to controls, no Bluetooth
The Nokia 1209 is a basic mobile phone that makes calls and sends text messages. It does the job, but don't expect any more than the bare necessities, aside from a handy flashlight and a ring tone composer.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
One of the most basic handsets we've ever reviewed, Nokia's 1209 is a budget, entry-level mobile phone that only does the bare minimum. This compact handset is easy to use and cheap as chips, but it is only recommended if you're purely interested in making calls and sending text messages.
The Nokia 1209 mobile phone is quite thick for an entry-level handset with minimal features, but it balances the ledger by being not being particularly wide and very light. Despite the size, the Nokia 1209's keypad is large and easy to use, though the 1, 2 and 3 keys are a little too close to the answer/end call keys for our liking; it's too easy to accidentally bump them when trying to send a text message or dial a phone number. The Nokia 1209 is largely constructed of plastic, but it feels reliable and solid considering its low price. There is no creaking or evidence of poor craftsmanship.
Using the Nokia 1209 is easy enough thanks to its straightforward user interface, but there are two issues that affect use of this mobile. Firstly, the display is narrow, so it only shows a few lines of text. For example, when scrolling through phonebook entries the Nokia 1209 can only display two numbers on the screen at a time, even if you only choose to display the contact's name rather than both the name and number. The screen also has poor viewing angles and is difficult to see in direct sunlight, making it uncomfortable to use outdoors on bright days and under fluorescent lighting indoors. The controls also take some time adjusting to: a four-way navigational pad is used instead of the more common five-way version. The left selection key is used to choose items in the menu.
The key features of the Nokia 1209 according to Nokia's Web site are the "premium exterior and colourful vibrant screen". We wouldn't particularly classify these as features, but there isn't much else to speak of. The Nokia 1209 offers text messaging with T9 predictive text input (but no MMS or e-mail capabilities), a basic phonebook and call register, and a few handy PIM functions such as an alarm clock, reminders, calculator, converter, countdown timer, calendar and stopwatch. The flashlight at the top of the handset — activated by holding up on the directional pad — and the polyphonic ring tone composer are nice inclusions.
Call quality is solid, but not outstanding. Volume could have been a little louder, and it is difficult to hear with any background noise. Thankfully, our callers didn't complain about the outgoing sound, which suggests the microphone is of good quality.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Pixel 2: Everything we know about Google’s next flagship phone
- OnePlus 5 rumors: Everything we know about the upcoming budget flagship
- Google makes the best Android apps easier to find with Android Excellence
- Motorola's Z2 Play comes with a smaller battery, a higher price tag, and new Moto Mods
- Sony outs launch details for its Xperia XZ Premium flagship and futuristic Touch projector
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCNetIQ Development OR Netiq Access ManagerNSW
- FTUser Experience / UX DesignerSA
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Services (Level 3)NSW
- FTSecurity AdvisorACT
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSenior Management ConsultantsACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Project Manager Data Centre MigrationOther
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTSenior Project Coordinator / Process AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions OwnerOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics XRM / CRM .Net DeveloperWA
- FTVCE EngineerOther
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCDeveloper - KofaxQLD
- FTAgile Project ManagerOther
- FTCustomer Experience ( CX ) AnalystOther