Nintendo Australia Super Paper Mario
- Great gameplay and wonderful sense of humor. It's good to see Mario finally make his way onto the Wii.
- There's really nothing to complain about. It's a pretty awesome game.
Super Paper Mario brings the same sense of wonderment and fun it did to the Nintendo DS, giving Wii owners one of the best games for the system in the process. Highly recommended.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The first game starring everyone's favorite mustachioed plumber has finally landed on the Nintendo Wii.
Super Paper Mario, the third game in the Paper Mario series, is easily one of the best titles we've seen yet, dishing out plenty of innovative uses of the Wii Remote, off the wall jokes, and mixed gameplay that fans of just about every genre will adore.
When Worlds Collide
Mario's adventure begins shortly after Princess Peach is kidnapped for the umpteenth time. Count Bleck, a top-hatted madman, has abducted the poor princess, believing that a forced marriage between her and Bowser will generate a black hole that will devour the entire universe. Wow, and I thought all those marriage jokes were just jokes. But Mario has a secret weapon at his disposal, the Wii Remote, which holds the power to flip the game from 2-D to a quasi-3-D perspective. Everything in the game will transform to 3-D, except for characters, which remain in their paper-thin state. The combination of different perspectives Mario can explore makes for a very unique visual feel; it's also a vital tool to solve puzzles and bypass obstacles.
Fans of the previous Paper Mario games will also notice that Super Paper Mario relies less heavily on RPG elements than the other titles in the series. The turn-based fighting system has been scrapped for a real-time affair and you can either stomp on enemies or use items and magic to send them into the shredder.
Controlling the action is relatively simple: Throughout most of the game you hold the Wii Remote with both hands--similar to the way it was back on the NES--but pressing the 'A' button will flip Mario out of the flat, 2-D world and into a 3-D perspective. You will also aim the Remote towards the screen at points to reveal hidden doors, play mini games, and more. As you progress through the game, you'll also get to control Peach, Luigi, and everybody's favorite villain, Bowser.
Virtually everything you come into contact with during your time spent with this game is laden with a truly warped sense of humor; there's no shortage of facial hair jokes and screwy characters you'll encounter. You will be spending as much time laughing at what's on the screen as you will be thoroughly immersed in trying to clear the current chapter you are playing.
Super Paper Mario is a near perfect addition to the venerable Mario franchise and your Wii collection. It will provide you with hours of first-rate entertainment and should serve as a nice diversion until Super Mario Galaxy is finally unleashed.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
PCW Evaluation Team
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSolution Designer - CRM / EDWOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneQLD
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- FTSupport Analyst/DevOpsVIC
- FTIT Asset Management AnalystOther
- TPPenetration TesterQLD
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- FTPre-Sales Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerNSW
- CCProgrammer Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTMobile/ Web (PHP) DeveloperNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Selenium/ToscaOther
- FTPMO/Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CCDesktop Support Engineer - Hunter Valley AreaNSW
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideQLD
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC