Nintendo Australia Super Paper Mario
- Great gameplay and wonderful sense of humor. It's good to see Mario finally make his way onto the Wii.
- There's really nothing to complain about. It's a pretty awesome game.
Super Paper Mario brings the same sense of wonderment and fun it did to the Nintendo DS, giving Wii owners one of the best games for the system in the process. Highly recommended.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The first game starring everyone's favorite mustachioed plumber has finally landed on the Nintendo Wii.
Super Paper Mario, the third game in the Paper Mario series, is easily one of the best titles we've seen yet, dishing out plenty of innovative uses of the Wii Remote, off the wall jokes, and mixed gameplay that fans of just about every genre will adore.
When Worlds Collide
Mario's adventure begins shortly after Princess Peach is kidnapped for the umpteenth time. Count Bleck, a top-hatted madman, has abducted the poor princess, believing that a forced marriage between her and Bowser will generate a black hole that will devour the entire universe. Wow, and I thought all those marriage jokes were just jokes. But Mario has a secret weapon at his disposal, the Wii Remote, which holds the power to flip the game from 2-D to a quasi-3-D perspective. Everything in the game will transform to 3-D, except for characters, which remain in their paper-thin state. The combination of different perspectives Mario can explore makes for a very unique visual feel; it's also a vital tool to solve puzzles and bypass obstacles.
Fans of the previous Paper Mario games will also notice that Super Paper Mario relies less heavily on RPG elements than the other titles in the series. The turn-based fighting system has been scrapped for a real-time affair and you can either stomp on enemies or use items and magic to send them into the shredder.
Controlling the action is relatively simple: Throughout most of the game you hold the Wii Remote with both hands--similar to the way it was back on the NES--but pressing the 'A' button will flip Mario out of the flat, 2-D world and into a 3-D perspective. You will also aim the Remote towards the screen at points to reveal hidden doors, play mini games, and more. As you progress through the game, you'll also get to control Peach, Luigi, and everybody's favorite villain, Bowser.
Virtually everything you come into contact with during your time spent with this game is laden with a truly warped sense of humor; there's no shortage of facial hair jokes and screwy characters you'll encounter. You will be spending as much time laughing at what's on the screen as you will be thoroughly immersed in trying to clear the current chapter you are playing.
Super Paper Mario is a near perfect addition to the venerable Mario franchise and your Wii collection. It will provide you with hours of first-rate entertainment and should serve as a nice diversion until Super Mario Galaxy is finally unleashed.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 2 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 3 Alienware AW3423DW review: Quantum dot OLED renders rival monitors obsolete
- 4 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
- 5 Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 review: This gaming laptop oozes luxurious power
Latest News Articles
- This real-life “aimbot” uses a physical mouse to cheat at shooting games
- Bethesda’s classic Elder Scrolls games arrive on Steam—for free
- We tested 22 different RPGs on the Steam Deck
- Steam Deck’s first major update adds a lock screen, Windows 11 support
- Sony is getting serious about bringing more PlayStation games to the PC
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Best Unlimited Internet Deals in 2022
- Microsoft’s universal ‘One Outlook’ client just leaked out
- Liquid Retina vs. Liquid Retina XDR: Which display is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies