Nintendo Australia Super Paper Mario
- Great gameplay and wonderful sense of humor. It's good to see Mario finally make his way onto the Wii.
- There's really nothing to complain about. It's a pretty awesome game.
Super Paper Mario brings the same sense of wonderment and fun it did to the Nintendo DS, giving Wii owners one of the best games for the system in the process. Highly recommended.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The first game starring everyone's favorite mustachioed plumber has finally landed on the Nintendo Wii.
Super Paper Mario, the third game in the Paper Mario series, is easily one of the best titles we've seen yet, dishing out plenty of innovative uses of the Wii Remote, off the wall jokes, and mixed gameplay that fans of just about every genre will adore.
When Worlds Collide
Mario's adventure begins shortly after Princess Peach is kidnapped for the umpteenth time. Count Bleck, a top-hatted madman, has abducted the poor princess, believing that a forced marriage between her and Bowser will generate a black hole that will devour the entire universe. Wow, and I thought all those marriage jokes were just jokes. But Mario has a secret weapon at his disposal, the Wii Remote, which holds the power to flip the game from 2-D to a quasi-3-D perspective. Everything in the game will transform to 3-D, except for characters, which remain in their paper-thin state. The combination of different perspectives Mario can explore makes for a very unique visual feel; it's also a vital tool to solve puzzles and bypass obstacles.
Fans of the previous Paper Mario games will also notice that Super Paper Mario relies less heavily on RPG elements than the other titles in the series. The turn-based fighting system has been scrapped for a real-time affair and you can either stomp on enemies or use items and magic to send them into the shredder.
Controlling the action is relatively simple: Throughout most of the game you hold the Wii Remote with both hands--similar to the way it was back on the NES--but pressing the 'A' button will flip Mario out of the flat, 2-D world and into a 3-D perspective. You will also aim the Remote towards the screen at points to reveal hidden doors, play mini games, and more. As you progress through the game, you'll also get to control Peach, Luigi, and everybody's favorite villain, Bowser.
Virtually everything you come into contact with during your time spent with this game is laden with a truly warped sense of humor; there's no shortage of facial hair jokes and screwy characters you'll encounter. You will be spending as much time laughing at what's on the screen as you will be thoroughly immersed in trying to clear the current chapter you are playing.
Super Paper Mario is a near perfect addition to the venerable Mario franchise and your Wii collection. It will provide you with hours of first-rate entertainment and should serve as a nice diversion until Super Mario Galaxy is finally unleashed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence and Analytic Solution DesignersACT
- TPTechnical AnalystVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery ExecutiveACT
- TPSenior Integration OfficerQLD
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- TPImplementation Planner - Payroll PortfolioQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- CCSenior Solution AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - End User ComputingNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer (Windows & Virtualization)VIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- CCReporting Business AnalystACT