Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
Style Boutique is good wholesome fun from our friends at the Big N
- Deep management experience, plenty of customisation options
- The ‘young teen girl’ vibe will unfortunately turn people away
Style Boutique is a genuine surprise. It's the kind of game that pretty much anyone can enjoy, if they give it half a chance. It's deep, challenging and addictive – and, much like the Marios and Pokemons of the world, its appeal is broader than its surface aesthetics.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
We’ll get something straight out of the way: Style Boutique has not been designed for gore fiends. If you can’t play a game that doesn’t involve bonus points for decapitation, you’re probably not even reading this review in the first place.
That said, there’s a surprisingly mature game beneath the girly presentation — enough so that Style Boutique will appeal to more people than it would initially seem.
Yes, it is all about fashion and clothes, and yes, it’s just women's fashion. However Boutique is closer to the many hotel/toy shop/theme park/zoo management games than The Babysitter Club.
As a boutique owner, you are responsible for buying products from wholesalers and selling them on to the customer. However, as we soon discovered at GamePro, the shoppers in the Style Boutique universe are utterly clueless. Simply on-selling clothing isn’t enough; you’ll also need to suggest what would suit each customer, based on their personal tastes and budget. Suggest the wrong thing, and they’ll walk out.
It’s not easy. Making sure you’re stocking enough to suit each customer’s wishes, suggesting the right fashion for them, and closing the sale is a fascinating process that will test your own tastes and smarts. You’ll even need to account for the season — good luck suggesting hot pants in the middle of winter!
Marketing the boutique is important too: you can also compete in catwalk contests (with each win generating extra publicity for the store), distribute virtual leaflets, and dress mannequins to attract customers. You can even hop online and set up a shop for others around the world to visit.
As a Nintendo property, Style Boutique features impressive production values. Although the game is cute overall, characters are modelled well, and the 10,000-odd pieces of clothing cover a wide range of popular fashion styles.
Admittedly, the story is weak, and dialogue is uncomfortably teen-girl at time (unless you’re a teenage girl), but frankly, anyone who was able to handle Pokemon’s cute trip will be fine here.
Although it’s obvious that 99 per cent of the people who buy this game will be teen girls or younger, it’s actually a damned good sim game. There’s a fair amount of challenge to it (especially if your idea of fashion is whatever is lying on the bedroom floor), and the realistic business process involved with sourcing and stocking a living retail shop is definitely addictive.
As much as I feel the need to go and play GTA to reassert my masculinity, I can’t help but admit I was drawn into this game — it’s deep, challenging, and yes, it’s full of sass.
Follow GamePro Australia on Twitter: @GameProAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Upcoming Overwatch Contenders Finals set for Melbourne Esports Open
- League of Legends to headline Melbourne's first Esports Open
- E3 2018: Every big game announcement and trailer
- Computex 2018: G.Skill draw eyes with new 'Crystal-RGB' RAM and new gaming gear
- Computex 2018: Everything new announced and shown by MSI
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies