Nintendo Australia Mario Party
- Mario Party has gone handheld! Take your party anywhere, any time
- It's still technically the same Mario Party, no matter how many extra single player options you're given
Mario Party DS is a pretty good Mario Party instalment, but it's ultimately meant for gamers who regularly get together with their friends for some DS gaming.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
The long-running Nintendo party franchise comes to the DS Lite but just because the screens are smaller doesn't mean the action has to be! But be warned: you won't full mileage out of this game unless you have three friends around you at all times.
Considering how popular the franchise is, it was only a matter of time before Mario Party made the leap to the DS in the form of the imaginatively titled, Mario Party DS. The party formula hasn't changed much over the years and Nintendo certainly didn't make any earth-shattering changes for the handheld version.
You still zoom across game boards that each feature their own quirks and challenges, all the while competing in mini-games and collecting star pieces. The good thing is that Mario Party DS takes good advantage of the stylus controls and the mini-games aren't too taxing, which makes it perfect for bite-sized sessions of gaming.
Party of one
For the solo gamer, you have quite a few options available to you, though it's hard to really differentiate between them, as most are based around playing the same mini-games. Story mode is first and foremost: you play through all five boards while following a light storyline that has you taking on Bowser. If you win the round, you engage the level's boss in a pretty humorous fight. Of course, if one of the computer controlled characters wins, they will fail miserably and you'll have to play through the entire board again to get your shot at the boss.
Here is where the inherent limitation for single player Mario Party rears its ugly head: single player is no fun because it's always up to the computer if you win or not. The AI will either make blatantly stupid moves that any human player would have never missed to let you win or it will catch all the breaks and cruise to an easy victory. You have a slim fighting chance by playing mini-games well and using items correctly, but for the most part, you're pretty much at the mercy of the AI.
The more the merrier
Needless to say, Mario Party DS is much more fun when played with friends, and Nintendo has wisely made it easy to do so. Four people can play using just one game cartridge via download play. The sad part is that there is no Wi-Fi online play, which would have been a welcome option.
All in all, Mario Party DS is actually a pretty good Mario Party instalment, but it's ultimately meant for gamers who regularly get together with their friends for some DS gaming. Sure, there are a ton of single player options but it's not called Mario Party for nothing. If you can get three friends together, it's a blast but don't expect the same kind of fun if you're flying solo.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Technology and StrategyQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEWA
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support - Microsoft Office 365 experienceNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW