Nintendo Australia Game Boy Micro
- Attractive design, removable faceplate, good battery life.
- Little too small
This gorgeous design will appeal to the fashion savvy among us and those that love to have the latest cool mini device on the market but hardcore games will probably stick to their DS or SP.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
You've got to hand it to Nintendo, when they are on to a good thing; they sure know how to run with it. In the never ending quest to make consumer electronics smaller, sleeker, and sexier Nintendo have released their Game Boy brand in a new incarnation, one that is smaller and more attractive than ever.
The Game Boy micro plays all of the nearly 700 Game Boy Advance (GBA) titles on the market on its tiny, two inch screen. Unlike the GBA SP the micro has a headphone jack which fits any standard set of headphones. Why Nintendo didn't include one in the SP line is still a mystery to us.
As with all Nintendo products, the micro is perfectly designed with a metallic finish which extends to the two shoulder buttons and the start and select buttons. The entire unit is rather sturdy and only four inches wide, making it smaller than most mobile phones. One of the downfalls of other systems like the original GBA and the PSP is that the screen has no cover and is frustratingly susceptible to scratching. The micro has this problem too but it also has the ability to snap off the faceplate and snap on a new one. This is ideal for people wanting to customise their micro or those who have damaged their current faceplate.
The micro uses the same processor as the GBA and GBA SP but has employed new screen technology which gives the same quality crystal clear images while also allowing the player to change the brightness of the image to accommodate for the play environment. Outdoors the unit does well, even in sunlight, and indoors the screen is bright and consistently high quality.
Unfortunately, the biggest problem with the micro is the very thing it was designed to be. Its size means that the screen is a little too small and the controls tend to cramp your hands during extended play. This may not be a problem for some people with smaller hands but our ape-like paws couldn't quite handle the micro without discomfort.
The unit is powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery cell which charges in about 2 hours with a lifespan of about 10 hours of game play. This is an appealing package for style conscious gamers and comes with a lanyard to hang the micro around the neck. Also, while the stock micro has a silver faceplate, the pack does come with a striking glossy black faceplate as a backup, which we much preferred to the silver.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTest AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTXamarin DeveloperVIC
- FTData Analyst - SASNSW
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTICT SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTTRIM TrainersACT
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTWeb Content WriterACT
- CCSplunk Software DeveloperVIC
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- TPSenior Integration OfficerQLD
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD