Nikon CoolPix S8000 digital camera
With automated controls and simple operation, the Nikon CoolPix S8000 is an ideal high-zoom camera for beginners
- Excellent macro mode, slim and lightweight, good backlight and underexposure correction, very sharp LCD screen, extremely easy to use
- No manual shutter or aperture settings, no hand grip, flimsy doors and compartment covers, video mode allows only digital zoom
With automated controls and simple operation, the Nikon CoolPix S8000 is an ideal high-zoom camera for beginners. It's hard to take a bad photo with this model, but you get no manual controls.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
There's a lot to be said for simplicity, and the almost fully automated Nikon CoolPix S8000 is the ideal high-zoom option for anyone who doesn't want to fuss with in-camera settings. More-advanced photographers and learn-as-you-go shooters won't like the lack of manual controls, but people looking for a dead-simple pocket megazoom will appreciate this Nikon camera.
The 10X-optical-zoom CoolPix S8000 offers a wide-angle-to-telephoto reach of 30mm to 300mm, 720p high-definition video capture at 30 frames per second, and one of the sharpest 3-inch-diagonal LCDs we've seen on a point-and-shoot camera. This camera pretty much drives itself: Shooting modes include full auto (which also lets you tweak white balance, metering options, autofocus mode, and ISO), 15 scene modes, and an automatic scene selector that chooses the right scene mode for the shooting environment.
Also in the mix are a Smart Portrait mode optimised for single or group portraits--it lets you tweak skin-softening filters, a smile-triggered shutter, and a blink detector--as well as a motion-tracking mode that locks in on a moving object and keeps it in focus. That's it for the shooting modes; you don't get any manual aperture or shutter controls. The automation tends to do a very good job, though.
In PCWorld Labs imaging tests, the CoolPix S8000 led our latest pocket megazoom test group in lack of distortion, and it was among the leaders for exposure quality and sharpness. Color accuracy and video quality were only mediocre, however, and as a result the CoolPix S8000 posted an overall imaging score of Good.
Here are sample clips that we shot in bright indoor lighting and in low light with the CoolPix S8000. For the highest-quality clips, select 720p from the drop-down menu in the lower-right corner of each player.
Battery life is on the low side. The CoolPix S8000 has a CIPA battery life rating of 210 shots per charge of its lithium ion battery, well short of the 300-plus-shot performance of your average point-and-shoot camera.
In my hands-on tests, the CoolPix S8000 had the best macro mode of any of the cameras in our latest roundup. I was just about able to touch the lens to a subject and still get a crisp, well-focused photo without the autofocus searching in and out.
You can correct exposure problems easily within the camera itself thanks to Nikon's D-Lighting feature, which you employ during image playback. Rather than attempting to correct backlit or underexposed images while you're capturing them, you reprocess images with D-Lighting after you shoot, creating a modified copy of your photo while retaining the original shot.
The CoolPix S8000 captures decent video, but audio pickup is weak from its top-mounted stereo microphones. What's more, you're limited to digital zoom while filming rather than being able to use the full power of its 10X-optical-zoom lens.
This is a slim and lightweight camera, due to the lack of a protruding hand grip. It's a bit boxy, and despite its lack of bulk, you'll need both hands to secure it for shooting. Unfortunately, the doors that cover the HDMI port and the USB connector on the camera are also lightweight, made of rubbery plastic and prime candidates to tear off after about a dozen uses.
Build quality and manual shortcomings aside, the Nikon CoolPix S8000 is the easiest-to-use pocket megazoom to past through our test labs recently. It takes almost no effort from the user to capture great images, which casual snapshooters will love.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- CCAIX System Administration ? UNIXVIC
- FTPower BI DeveloperOther
- FTDevOps Engineer, Continuous Delivery, Cloud AutomationOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTWintel LeadOther
- FTWindows Messaging and MS Exchange LeadOther
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTCRM Business AnalystACT
- FTTransition Manager - 12 Month ContractOther
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTPortfolio Management & Governance ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - TechnicalNSW
- TPTraining ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- CCIntel ArchitectNSW
- FTSAP Functional & Technical Analyst- SD, BPC, HCM, AR,Time & PayOther
- CCSecurity Business AnalystVIC
- CCHFC Project Officer (Governance Support) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTSales Manager - Global ISP Cloud Solutions ProviderVIC