Nikon COOLPIX 7900
- Nice image quality
- Blur warning and red-eye fix functions not effective enough, lacks functions
A high-resolution camera that does its best to prevent you taking bad shots.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The Coolpix 7900 does its best to prevent you from taking bad shots. Its Blur Warning lets you know when camera shake or hand shake has affected a shot--but we found far too many blurred shots still slipped past the sensor's eye. D-Lighting compensates for insufficient flash or excessive backlighting. When tone is adjusted, a new picture is created automatically, in addition to the original. The end result is a brighter picture. Nikon's in-camera red-eye fix function automatically detects and corrects red eyes in-camera. On some shots, it does the job well, but it can also give some subjects a glazed eye effect or completely miss some red eyes.
The Coolpix 7900 features a 3X Zoom-Nikkor ED lens (with focal range equivalent of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format) and takes shots at 7.1 megapixels. It has a top resolution of 3072 x 2304. Images saved at this setting and at Fine quality are more than suitable for A3 enlargements. All image information is saved to either its 14MB internal memory, or to an SD card.
The 7900's body is easy to hold. For ease of use, the camera omits manual functions such as aperture and shutter priority, but has a large range of presets and auto-settings available.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCProject Manager - Grant managementNSW
- FTData Analyst - SASNSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Service Continuity ManagerACT
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- TPLevel 1-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- FTAccount Manager - Technology SolutionsNSW
- FTApplication AnalystSA
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW