Nik Software Dfine 2.0
- Very effective at noise reduction, includes both automatic and manual tools, much better than Photoshop's own filer
- Niche tool, zoom lacks options
Dfine 2.0 is an excellent, if niche, plug-in, worth having in your collection even if you only use it on the odd occasion.
Price$ 190.00 (AUD)
Dfine is a Photoshop plug-in that eschews bells-&-whistles for a tight feature set focused on a single task – removing noise from photographs.
Dfine offers two ways of working. First, you can work on the whole image in a plug-in dialogue box. The first step is to measure the level of noise automatically, or by manually selecting points of noise. You can then adjust the Contrast Noise and Color Noise settings to reduce variations in brightness and shade.
We were impressed by Dfine's fast, automatic reduction of noise. This feature has been improved in version 2.0 with more functions. These include horizontal and vertical split views to see before-&-after effects, and the ability to view individual RGB or luminance/chrominance channels to prejudge what settings to go for.
Also new in Dfine 2.0 are U Point Control Points, which allow noise reduction to be applied selectively to objects in your scene, which Dfine makes a decent job of identifying.
The only complaint is minor. The Zoom tool has three settings only: fit, 100 per cent and 300 per cent. With hi-res images such as our 10Mp test shots, you are likely to want to zoom in a tad, but not to 100 per cent.
The automated process will make most images usable, but if you're dealing with a particularly poor photo or need to improve an image for cosmetic reasons, Dfine provides manual painting tools.
There are four tools: Paint, Erase, Fill and Clear. The tools' properties are governed by the type of effect selected: Skin, Background, Sky, Hot Pixels, Shadows, Fine Structures and Strong Noise. Most types of noise can be easily dealt with one or other of these tools.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystVIC
- CCProject Support AnalystVIC
- TPSoftware Implementation Project Manager.NSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCEnterprise Architect / Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer, Wintel, VMWareOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Copywriter/ Content ProducerOther
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- FTTest Lead - Automation (energy and metering sector)Other
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCService Desk AnalystACT
- FT.Net - Sitecore DeveloperQLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD