Nik Software Dfine 2.0
- Very effective at noise reduction, includes both automatic and manual tools, much better than Photoshop's own filer
- Niche tool, zoom lacks options
Dfine 2.0 is an excellent, if niche, plug-in, worth having in your collection even if you only use it on the odd occasion.
Price$ 190.00 (AUD)
Dfine is a Photoshop plug-in that eschews bells-&-whistles for a tight feature set focused on a single task – removing noise from photographs.
Dfine offers two ways of working. First, you can work on the whole image in a plug-in dialogue box. The first step is to measure the level of noise automatically, or by manually selecting points of noise. You can then adjust the Contrast Noise and Color Noise settings to reduce variations in brightness and shade.
We were impressed by Dfine's fast, automatic reduction of noise. This feature has been improved in version 2.0 with more functions. These include horizontal and vertical split views to see before-&-after effects, and the ability to view individual RGB or luminance/chrominance channels to prejudge what settings to go for.
Also new in Dfine 2.0 are U Point Control Points, which allow noise reduction to be applied selectively to objects in your scene, which Dfine makes a decent job of identifying.
The only complaint is minor. The Zoom tool has three settings only: fit, 100 per cent and 300 per cent. With hi-res images such as our 10Mp test shots, you are likely to want to zoom in a tad, but not to 100 per cent.
The automated process will make most images usable, but if you're dealing with a particularly poor photo or need to improve an image for cosmetic reasons, Dfine provides manual painting tools.
There are four tools: Paint, Erase, Fill and Clear. The tools' properties are governed by the type of effect selected: Skin, Background, Sky, Hot Pixels, Shadows, Fine Structures and Strong Noise. Most types of noise can be easily dealt with one or other of these tools.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior-Mid Level Release ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- FTWireless Consulting EngineerNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTC++/Python DeveloperNSW
- FTERP Systems & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSDWAN ConsultantOther
- FTSalesforce CRM Scrum Product OwnerOther
- FTAWS AdministratorOther
- FTData AnalystACT
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTIT Forensics and Fraud Technical LeadOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- TPSAP FICO Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTUI DesignerOther
- FTSenior Cost ModellerOther
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- FTChange Manager OCMOther
- TPDigital ProducerVIC