NewTek LightWave 3D v9
- All-in-one 3D animation package, incredible array of tools and features (including plenty of third-party content)
- Requires a USB-hogging hardware key, certain processes remain dauntingly complex for the first-time user
Fast, feature-rich and endlessly versatile, LightWave 3D v9 is one of the best 3D animation suites on the market. No other complete package offers the same level of professionalism at this price.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
If 3D animation suites were all soldiers in a WW2 action flick, LightWave would be the grizzled general who has seen it all before. The veteran software package has been around since the days of the Commodore Amiga (remember those?) and has been a staple after-effects tool for the film and television industries ever since. From the ropey S.F.X in Babylon 5 to the visual eye candy of The Matrix Reloaded, the program has certainly come a long way since its inception. This latest version ushers in a host of unique features, including improved character animations, lens-specific virtual cameras, advanced APS tools for particles, fur and hair effects, a completely overhauled rendering engine, plus a new Node Editor interface for fast and effective shading. This is barely scratching the surface however, as practically every facet of LightWave 3D has been injected with a mind-boggling array of enhancements. Rest assured, if you're an existing user of NewTek's software, there has never been a more comprehensive or worthy upgrade.
As its name implies, LightWave 3D is an all-in-one CGI solution that combines professional-level modelling, rendering and animation tools into one affordable package. ('Affordable' is a bit subjective here; while $1300 isn't exactly cheap, its value remains unmatched for what it offers.) From spectacular CGI in feature-length movies to photorealistic renders in video games, its uses are as varied and versatile as the system itself. While NewTek would like its customers to believe that they are only limited by their imagination, the truth is that most users will also be hamstrung by their know-how. Make no mistake; the learning curve for newbies is steep, though it's certainly no worse than any other professional-level animation suite. In any event, those who manage to crest the learning curve will be highly satisfied with what they find on the other side.
The first thing you'll notice upon opening the LightWave 3D box is a device that looks like a USB thumb drive. This isn't a bonus gift, but rather a hardware key, or dongle, used for copy protection purposes. What this means is that the software won't work unless you have the dongle inserted in one of your USB ports. We're a bit leery of anti-piracy methods that require periphery hardware – what happens if the dongle breaks, or you lose it? After all, vendors aren't particularly well known for the swift delivery of replacements – this could effectively see your workflow frozen for days, or even weeks.
But enough about dongles. Let's get down to the nitty-gritty (or as much of the nitty-gritty as our word count allows). If you've ever watched the special features on DVDs like Lord of the Rings, you'll have an idea of how LightWave 3D and programs like it work. Objects and character models are built from the ground up in the Modeller window and then rendered and animated in the Layout window. Both windows are divided up into four separate viewpoints; depicting your model at different angles (the default viewpoints are front, back, top and 'perspective', though these can naturally be changed to suit your purpose). You are given a range of rendering options, including wireframe, texture, shade, stretch, flat shaded and smooth shaded. Naturally, you can also elect to have each viewing panel depict a different rendering style.
With the high turnaround times demanded by modern animation studios, LightWave 3D 9 attempts to make everything more streamlined. One handy option is the ability to adjust the resolution of an object in relation to its proximity to the camera (i.e. increasing to a higher resolution as the object moves from background to foreground). This effectively speeds up the rendering process without compromising on image quality and will be a boon for animators on especially tight schedules. As with previous versions of the software, it is also possible to 'multithread' rendering tasks across networked computers. This allows multiple CPUs to tackle individual frames of animation.
As mentioned earlier, getting the most out of LightWave 3D will require a hefty chunk of preinstalled knowledge. (There's a reason why 3D animators make good money – it's not an easy skill to learn!) If you're new to all this CGI malarkey, we'd suggest investing in a LightWave training course or at the very least, a tutorial video. If that sounds like too much time and effort, perhaps this software isn't for you – instead, go for Ulead's Cool 3D Production Studio; a consumer-aimed package that offers a smoother ride. On the plus side, a selection of pre-built royalty-free models are included in the sales package to help you get started.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- FTDigital BAOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunitiesQLD
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | CommunicationsQLD
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTPageUp BAOther
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW