Play a classic ball-rolling game with Neverball
- Free, open source, fun!
- Requires patience
Free. Fun. Challenging. Two professional-quality games in one package. Why are you still reading this when you could be playing Neverball?
Those in my age range of (mumble) may remember an old puzzle game featuring a real metal ball and a real wooden board with holes in it. Younger folks may remember Nintendo's Super Monkey Ball. Neverball (free) is, basically, Super Monkey Ball without any monkeys. Use the mouse to tilt a playing field, causing a ball to roll down the incline. With careful control, you can scoop up coins, bounce over pits, even (at higher challenge levels) zoom around tubes in a gravity-defying spree. Or, if you're like me, you can send your ball careening over barricades and into the void so fast it probably leaps out of the game and ends up coming to rest somewhere around my 2004 tax archives.
In short, Neverball requires patience, finesse, timing, and dexterity, none of which I possess. Nonetheless, I can appreciate the quality of gameplay--and the sheer amount of it--that you get for free. An open source game released under the GPL, Neverball exists solely due to voluntary efforts by programmers and level builders, and, unlike far too many "free" products, this one has the quality you'd expect from a commercial game. I encountered no bugs or interface oddities, and gameplay was slick, smooth, and hyper-responsive. You get over a hundred levels, ranging from "Easy" (I could do them in under five tries) to "Challenging" (unless you are a 13-year-old with reflexes like a weasel on speed, you will tear your hair out).
But that's not all! Included free in the installer is "Neverputt," a golf version of the same game concept--you must carefully putt your ball into the hole, again dealing with ever-more-complex levels as you progress. Neverputt is a game which does not require reflexes, just careful estimation of force and angles--a lot easier for old fogeys like me.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
- Event schedule announced for PAX Aus 2017
- Hand of Fate 2 set for Nov. 7 launch, will support 4K HD on Xbox
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperACT
- FTService desk supportACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Migration EngineerOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- TPProject Manager - Data Feed ReplacementVIC
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - DigitalVIC
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTMiddleware System AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- FTSitecore DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther