Netgear ProSecure STM600 web security gateway
Although the Netgear ProSecure STM600 doesn't match the feature set and flexibility of some of the high-end web security gateways from vendors such as Bluecoat, Cisco and Trend Micro, it has a robust and solid design appropriate to midsized and small businesses
- Good web interface
- Doesn't match the feature set and flexibility of some high-end web security gateways,
By making a serious attempt to match the web security needs of small businesses, Netgear has created a product that sits between the relatively spare feature set of the UTM firewall and the expensive depth of enterprise-class web security gateways. The Netgear ProSecure STM600 gives network managers an excellent option to add web security at a reasonable price with minimum risk.
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 security appliance takes on small-to-midsize business stalwarts such as Fortinet and Barracuda by including antispam, antimalware, and web content filtering in a single unit that offers easy deployment and budget-preserving pricing.
We tested the Netgear ProSecure STM600, the high-end appliance Netgear started shipping in November, and found that it does an adequate job of blocking what you don't want, while making a minimal intrusion into your network.
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 combines two main functions in a single appliance. First is email protections, including antispam and antimalware, as well as some content filtering. Second is web and FTP client protections, including antimalware and content filtering.
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 has an easy-to-use web-based interface, and a separate out-of-band management port, which is a nice feature. In general, most network managers will be able to configure the STM600 in just a few minutes.
The email protection features work on SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4 protocols. You identify what ports you're running these three protocols on, and then define a fairly simple policy on how to handle traffic.
Web protection is slightly more sophisticated. You start with the same configuration: define what ports you run HTTP, Secure-HTTP and FTP on, then say which policies will apply. The Netgear ProSecure STM600 supports malware scanning, content filtering (such as blocking .EXE files or online shopping sites), URL filtering with your own block/allow lists of URLs and sites, application filtering for a list of about 18 common applications, such as BitTorrent, GoToMyPC, and Yahoo Messenger, plus man-in-the-middle HTTPS scanning.
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 also allows HTTP users to authenticate themselves using a Web page, and you can use this authentication to apply exceptions to your basic policy.
Netgear ProSecure STM600: inline ins and outs
The Netgear ProSecure STM600 acts as a "bump in the wire", meaning that it sits transparently in your network, doing its job, without any additional configuration of your web clients, mail servers or DNS. That's quite a departure from other products in this space, which usually act as separate email servers or web proxies.
The advantage is that you don't have to touch anything. But there are also disadvantages. The most obvious is that now the Netgear ProSecure STM600 is sitting "inline" in your network, controlling all traffic. If the STM600 locks up or otherwise starts misbehaving, everything can slow down or be cut off entirely.
Netgear partially works around this by putting fail-open ports on the STM600, which let traffic pass through untouched if the Netgear ProSecure STM600 loses power. We tested this and found that the STM600 is only "mostly" transparent. Both when we power-cycled it, and when it rebooted, we had to clear ARP caches before communications would resume. You've got to be comfortable putting another device in the critical path between your network and the internet to consider this approach.
Another unusual part of the Netgear ProSecure STM600 configuration is that you don't really make it aware of IP addresses, only ports to scan. This means that, by default, the STM600 will scan traffic to every IP address on the ports you list. That can be a benefit, or it could cause mysterious network problems if you don't realise that even your test lab is being filtered. Fortunately, there is a way to exclude specific IP addresses or subnets from scanning.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 3 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 4 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 5 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTIT Sales ManagerVIC
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTInventory Planning AnalystOther
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTCyber Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperOther
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- FTScheduler - CommunicationsOther
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, SCCMOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- TPAudio Visual Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- FTNode.js DeveloperNSW
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- TPDigital Project Manager | Website ReplatformingQLD
- CCPSRM Java DeveloperNSW
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - Financial and Billing systemsVIC