Netgear Australia MP101
- Simple and elegant design, easy to set up and use
- No digital output
Netgear's MP 101 is a great wireless audio player with an easy setup and straightforward operation. It's only lacking a digital output.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Netgear's MP101 wireless digital music player is built to share audio from a PC or an Internet music streaming service to a home stereo. It works over either an Ethernet or wireless connection.
As with most network media players, the MP101 includes both a software and hardware component. Software is installed on any PCs with a music database, which then allows the MP101 to access and play back the audio files remotely over a network.
Installation takes a couple of minutes, and the MP101 ships with Ethernet and RCA cables to interface with a home stereo and network router (though you obviously won't need the Ethernet cable if you intend to connect to a wireless router). There's also a handy quick installation guide that takes the sting out of initially setting up the product, but provided you install the software before plugging the MP101 into the network, the setup is close to foolproof.
Once you have the software installed on a PC, and it has catalogued your MP3 and WMA files, you can turn on the MP101 and configure it via the bundled remote control. The device will automatically try to pick up a network address from a network router via DHCP, or you can configure the details of your wireless network directly via remote. WEP encryption is fully supported; however, there is no provision for the more robust WPA security.
The MP101 is a relatively simple device, with the back plate offering 802.11b Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections along with RCA and 3.5mm audio line outs. There's no digital output to speak of, so you're limited to analog. This may not be a concern for many buyers; however, those with substantial investments in high fidelity audio would want to look elsewhere.
The MP 101 works effectively. We detected no glitches in playback or files that refused to read during the test process. A backlit four-line LCD on the front of the machine offers enough information on playlists and track information, and is visible from a few metres away--making it ideal for a lounge room.
Netgear--known as a networking company--has done a good job in preparing the MP101 for a home theatre environment. The sleek silver device features rounded edges and measures 24 x 19 x 6.5cm (including antenna), and would look at home with most modern home entertainment setups. The remote control is well laid out and matches elegantly. In fact, the Netgear device is a great choice if you don't specifically demand a digital connection to a home stereo. Even better, it is backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCIdentity Access Management - Business AnalystVIC
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTChange AnalystQLD
- TPNetwork and Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- TPUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksACT
- CCTechnical Support/HelpdeskVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCTesting Manager - Energy sectorVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW