Netgear Australia MP101
- Simple and elegant design, easy to set up and use
- No digital output
Netgear's MP 101 is a great wireless audio player with an easy setup and straightforward operation. It's only lacking a digital output.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Netgear's MP101 wireless digital music player is built to share audio from a PC or an Internet music streaming service to a home stereo. It works over either an Ethernet or wireless connection.
As with most network media players, the MP101 includes both a software and hardware component. Software is installed on any PCs with a music database, which then allows the MP101 to access and play back the audio files remotely over a network.
Installation takes a couple of minutes, and the MP101 ships with Ethernet and RCA cables to interface with a home stereo and network router (though you obviously won't need the Ethernet cable if you intend to connect to a wireless router). There's also a handy quick installation guide that takes the sting out of initially setting up the product, but provided you install the software before plugging the MP101 into the network, the setup is close to foolproof.
Once you have the software installed on a PC, and it has catalogued your MP3 and WMA files, you can turn on the MP101 and configure it via the bundled remote control. The device will automatically try to pick up a network address from a network router via DHCP, or you can configure the details of your wireless network directly via remote. WEP encryption is fully supported; however, there is no provision for the more robust WPA security.
The MP101 is a relatively simple device, with the back plate offering 802.11b Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections along with RCA and 3.5mm audio line outs. There's no digital output to speak of, so you're limited to analog. This may not be a concern for many buyers; however, those with substantial investments in high fidelity audio would want to look elsewhere.
The MP 101 works effectively. We detected no glitches in playback or files that refused to read during the test process. A backlit four-line LCD on the front of the machine offers enough information on playlists and track information, and is visible from a few metres away--making it ideal for a lounge room.
Netgear--known as a networking company--has done a good job in preparing the MP101 for a home theatre environment. The sleek silver device features rounded edges and measures 24 x 19 x 6.5cm (including antenna), and would look at home with most modern home entertainment setups. The remote control is well laid out and matches elegantly. In fact, the Netgear device is a great choice if you don't specifically demand a digital connection to a home stereo. Even better, it is backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Project Manager - Enterprise Risk & ComplianceNSW
- FTGenesys ConsultantACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)WA
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- CCUX Designer - Full StackNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- CCSecurity Business AnalystVIC
- TPData AnalystQLD
- FTContinuous Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Analysts - apps developmentACT
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)QLD
- FTSiebel Project Manager - Immediate StartACT
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CCSolution Architect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC