Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
Netgear Australia MP101
- Simple and elegant design, easy to set up and use
- No digital output
Netgear's MP 101 is a great wireless audio player with an easy setup and straightforward operation. It's only lacking a digital output.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Netgear's MP101 wireless digital music player is built to share audio from a PC or an Internet music streaming service to a home stereo. It works over either an Ethernet or wireless connection.
As with most network media players, the MP101 includes both a software and hardware component. Software is installed on any PCs with a music database, which then allows the MP101 to access and play back the audio files remotely over a network.
Installation takes a couple of minutes, and the MP101 ships with Ethernet and RCA cables to interface with a home stereo and network router (though you obviously won't need the Ethernet cable if you intend to connect to a wireless router). There's also a handy quick installation guide that takes the sting out of initially setting up the product, but provided you install the software before plugging the MP101 into the network, the setup is close to foolproof.
Once you have the software installed on a PC, and it has catalogued your MP3 and WMA files, you can turn on the MP101 and configure it via the bundled remote control. The device will automatically try to pick up a network address from a network router via DHCP, or you can configure the details of your wireless network directly via remote. WEP encryption is fully supported; however, there is no provision for the more robust WPA security.
The MP101 is a relatively simple device, with the back plate offering 802.11b Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections along with RCA and 3.5mm audio line outs. There's no digital output to speak of, so you're limited to analog. This may not be a concern for many buyers; however, those with substantial investments in high fidelity audio would want to look elsewhere.
The MP 101 works effectively. We detected no glitches in playback or files that refused to read during the test process. A backlit four-line LCD on the front of the machine offers enough information on playlists and track information, and is visible from a few metres away--making it ideal for a lounge room.
Netgear--known as a networking company--has done a good job in preparing the MP101 for a home theatre environment. The sleek silver device features rounded edges and measures 24 x 19 x 6.5cm (including antenna), and would look at home with most modern home entertainment setups. The remote control is well laid out and matches elegantly. In fact, the Netgear device is a great choice if you don't specifically demand a digital connection to a home stereo. Even better, it is backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Bang & Olufsen announces release date for AirPlay 2
- Sonos introduce cheaper, smarter Sonos Beam soundbar
- Computex 2018: ASUS mesh router with built-in Alexa smart speaker confirmed for Australia
- WWDC 2018: Apple TV 4K gets new features and screensavers with tvOS 12
- Apple update HomePod for Stereo Pairing & Multi-Room Audio via AirPlay
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies