- Great image quality, light, minimalist
- Lacks detail in some areas, doesn't include speakers, no HDMI connection
The PX-42XR3W may offer too few amenities to satisfy many consumers. But its great image quality and low price make it a fine choice for people who want to hook up their set to an external HDTV tuner.
Price$ 6,999.00 (AUD)
This is the panel for image geeks. It has very good image quality, and outstanding HDTV display.
Its detail and colour quality are near the top of the range for plasma TVs. On an HDTV clip from a classic car show, for instance, it captured the rich, deep red of a sports car and crisply displayed the glossy chrome bars of the auto's front grille without any shimmering effect. The NEC experienced no problems with any HDTV formats sent through its digital video input.
But the NEC is just a monitor. It lacks speakers and TV-tuning capabilities; you need to team it with an over-the-air receiver or a cable or satellite box to enjoy its fine HDTV performance.
You don't get the best set of connection options, either. The PX-42XR3W lacks a connector for HDMI cables, having instead a single bulky DVI port for digital hookups. The next-best option is its two sets of component inputs.
The monitor's design is quite plain, as well. The screen has just a simple thin frame (available in silver or charcoal grey). A relative featherweight at only 29.5kg, it should provide less of a mounting challenge than most of its competitors.
The bare-bones design and quirky connectors hint at NEC's traditional role as a maker of displays for commercial and corporate use. That's also evident in the included documentation--a thin booklet that might suffice for IT professionals or video types--and in the on-screen display. The interface is a simple, text-based affair without snazzy icons or other fancy features, but the layout is clear and easy to navigate.
The menus offer a high level of control. For instance, the PX-42XR3W includes gamma control, which lets users adjust the rate at which brightness ramps up from dark to light and is helpful for refining shadow detail at medium brightness levels. This set is also one of few to permit fine-tuning of colour levels, in this case allowing users to balance the levels of primary (red, green, blue) and secondary (cyan, magenta, yellow) colours.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense Full HD TV and Refrigerator Top the List in 2017 ProductReview Awards
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- First Look: LG's Signature Range
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- TPIntegration Developer. Cloud SolutionsNSW
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- CCBusiness Analyst (Finance/Grants)QLD
- FTMarketing and Advertising Project/Sales SupportOther
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerWA
- CCProgram DirectorQLD
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC