In the end, Klonoa is a fantastic game that unfortunately suffers from a high degree of difficulty
- Beautiful visuals, cute voice over work, and compelling gameplay makes for one of the better platforming experiences around.
- High level of difficulty will turn off a large portion of its potential fanbase, definitely not for the impatient or easily frustrated.
Even with its steep difficulty curve and frequent (cute) deaths, Klonoa is a solid platformer breathing life into an all but dead genre.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
I remember playing Klonoa when it debuted on the original Playstation and my memories were, for the most part, positive. I recalled cute visuals and awesome platforming gameplay. So when the Wii remake floated in for review, I booted it up expecting a smooth trip down memory lane. What I got instead was one hell of a bumpy ride.
That's not because the game is horrible. I actually like it a lot and it's easy to see why my memories of the game were so candy-coated. The animation-quality graphics, which have ported over really well to the Wii, are amazing and the cute voice-over work is exceptional. When the level design is at its best, the game has a great sense of flow; you move along a 2-D plane but the 3-D levels allow you to switch planes and perspectives. The camera does a great job of keeping up, though, so you never get disoriented.
But I was quickly reminded how brutally hard the game is: later levels demand precision timing, dexterous jumps and split-second maneuvering. One tiny little misstep and you're sent plummeting to your death; add in the limited number of lives and you're in for gaming experience that would make Sisyphus shudder. The controls don't help much either because no matter which setup you use-you can use the Wii Remote, the nunchuk combo, a Gamecube controller or the Classic Controller -- the difficulty doesn't go away.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTCyber Security Threat Management SpecialistOther
- FTNetwork Architect - up to $800 per dayOther
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystOther
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-GenesysNSW
- FTProject Manager/Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Test Analyst - SiebelACT
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTAPI Developer | Back EndOther
- FTBusiness System Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCRPA DeveloperVIC
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSQL DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP FI Functional SpecialistACT
- TPDigital Project Manager - SalesforceNSW
- FTGraduate Application Support OfficerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther