We have a Printer, Scanner and Label Maker to get your business organised. Enter today.
MSI StarCam 370i
- Great value for money, Looks great, Built in microphone, Night mode, Versatile
- Video capture not great
The StarCam 370i is the perfect accompaniment for your desktop and essential if you want to set up live video streaming and webchatting.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
this age of Big Brother and home-cooked voyeurism, MSI's new StarCam 370i is ready to facilitate all your snooping tendencies. This webcam can do just about anything except make the tea, but MSI has stuck to a cut-throat price that will shock the competition. A great buy.
The StarCam's big eye is a touch cheesy, but sci-fi aficionados will love it - we think it looks great. And top marks to MSI for putting the eye on a long metal stalk that can be repositioned with ease. The base should have been much heavier, as the cam head will fall over if it's tilted at an extreme angle, and the USB lead is very short. Depending how close together you keep your tower case and monitor - on top of which you'll probably put the cam - you might have to rearrange your set-up.
The 370i's Cmos sensor can offer live video feed and image capture at 640x480 - or up to 1,280x1,024 interpolated, but we recommend sticking to the 640x480 for the best results. Image quality is only average, but you get what you pay for. You can tinker around with saturation and contrast using the MSI driver utility but the effect is minimal.
Video capture is a pretty miserly 352x288 at 30fps (frames per second). While you can bump this up to 640x480, the fps drops to 15, and this simply isn't watchable.
MSI has added a built-in mic for audio capture (superb for online chatting), a couple of LED lights for dark conditions, and an impressive infrared sensor so you can use the webcam in the dark. Now who'd want to do that? Use your imagination.
Actually, what impressed us most about the StarCam was the My Guard software, which turns it into a motion sensing surveillance tool. Set this up, and if anything crosses the webcam's field of view you'll know about it, via email or text alerts.
Cheap, extremely versatile and well-made - why can't all products be like this?
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Swann refine their smart security solution with new solar panel
- Netgear recall Arlo power adapters
- Canon Strengthens 2:3” Broadcast Lens Range
- Canon Introduces Cinema EOS C700 FF Camera and More
- Netgear Launches the Arlo Go LTE Wire-Free Camera on Telstra’s Mobile Network
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies