MSI StarCam 370i
- Great value for money, Looks great, Built in microphone, Night mode, Versatile
- Video capture not great
The StarCam 370i is the perfect accompaniment for your desktop and essential if you want to set up live video streaming and webchatting.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
this age of Big Brother and home-cooked voyeurism, MSI's new StarCam 370i is ready to facilitate all your snooping tendencies. This webcam can do just about anything except make the tea, but MSI has stuck to a cut-throat price that will shock the competition. A great buy.
The StarCam's big eye is a touch cheesy, but sci-fi aficionados will love it - we think it looks great. And top marks to MSI for putting the eye on a long metal stalk that can be repositioned with ease. The base should have been much heavier, as the cam head will fall over if it's tilted at an extreme angle, and the USB lead is very short. Depending how close together you keep your tower case and monitor - on top of which you'll probably put the cam - you might have to rearrange your set-up.
The 370i's Cmos sensor can offer live video feed and image capture at 640x480 - or up to 1,280x1,024 interpolated, but we recommend sticking to the 640x480 for the best results. Image quality is only average, but you get what you pay for. You can tinker around with saturation and contrast using the MSI driver utility but the effect is minimal.
Video capture is a pretty miserly 352x288 at 30fps (frames per second). While you can bump this up to 640x480, the fps drops to 15, and this simply isn't watchable.
MSI has added a built-in mic for audio capture (superb for online chatting), a couple of LED lights for dark conditions, and an impressive infrared sensor so you can use the webcam in the dark. Now who'd want to do that? Use your imagination.
Actually, what impressed us most about the StarCam was the My Guard software, which turns it into a motion sensing surveillance tool. Set this up, and if anything crosses the webcam's field of view you'll know about it, via email or text alerts.
Cheap, extremely versatile and well-made - why can't all products be like this?
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- FTSecurity System AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- CCData Analyst - Google Doc SMEVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst | Gold CoastQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCIntel Active Directory SpecialistNSW
- CCSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- TPTest Automation EngineerQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- TPFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital BAOther