MSI K8N Diamond
- Built-in Creative SoundBlaster Live!, wide array of connectivity options, good performance, good board monitor software
- SLI functionality must be manually installed
All things considered, this board impressed us with its features, especially its on-board Creative audio, but we did have to fiddle with different drivers in order to get the RAID array detected properly by Windows.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
One of the distinguishing features on this nForce4 SLI-based board is its built in Creative SoundBlaster Live! audio chip, which provides audio capabilities that easily outstrip the majority of motherboards. It supports up to 7.1 speakers and has analog as well as digital ports on its rear port cluster.
Two Gigabit Ethernet ports, a FireWire port along with USB 2.0, Serial, PS/2 and parallel ports also adorn the rear port cluster. MSI supplies expansion brackets for further USB 2.0 and FireWire ports, as well one for an external SATA port.
The board has RAID support through its four integrated SATA ports and MSI also adds a further two ports using a Silicon Image controller. We had a bit of difficulty locating the correct RAID drivers for our Windows XP installation, as the package we received for this review did not include retail driver discs, and the drivers that worked were the ones directly off Nvidia's Web site.
The board performed similarly to others nForce4 boards, with no anomalies. It's worth pointing out that MSI uses a VIA-based FireWire controller, whereas the other vendors rely on Texas Instrument controllers.
MSI provides some great utilities to allow you to monitor your system. DigiCell software allows you to view information, such as fan speeds and chip temperatures through Windows.
Physically, the board has all its ports and slots located in a logical manner, although there was one capacitor near the release lever of the first graphics slot. To enable SLI, the board requires that a selector board be physically manipulated.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPAppian DeveloperQLD
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTPageUp BAOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTProgramme DirectorSA
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTData Centre Systems EngineerOther
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- FTSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTCapability Specialist | Business AnalystOther
- TPCyber Security EngineerNSW
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTRelease Manager (Software Configuration)ACT
- TPWeb DeveloperACT
- FTTechnology Project OfficerOther
- FTPreSales / Offerings Solution Architect - BPS or BPONSW
- FTCloud Solution ArchitectOther
- CCJanusgraph Consultant - Telco industryVIC
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW