Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro
- Traffic-tracking and search engine optimisation tools, user-friendly
- Price, not suited to amateurs, additional renewal fee
As user-friendly as its predecessor, Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro is a well-designed program that enables small companies to create a basic Web presence with little hassle. It may fall between two market segments, however, offering a basic suite of tools that may frustrate ambitious businesses while pricing itself above home users. A bit of an enigma, then, but a high-calibre one that will suit a narrow group of users extremely well -- if they can stomach the pricey renewal fees.
Price$ 232.99 (AUD)
Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro is the expanded, 'professional' version of Mr Site's successful and ultra-simple Web site-creation tool.
Determined to take the jargon and baffling complexity out of Web design, Mr Site launched its Takeaway Website product last year to widespread acclaim. By reducing the creation of a site to six simple steps, Mr Site Takeaway Website enabled tech beginners and the time-poor to build a simple Web site with the bare minimum of trouble.
But we suspect the sailing may not be quite so plain for this, the expanded Pro edition of Takeaway Website. Admittedly Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro remains a wonderfully intuitive program -- if you're willing to keep things simple you can throw together and publish a multi-page site in an hour or less -- and some useful features have been added to the mix.
It's just that the small businesses that constitute Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's target market are likely to find the results somewhat over-simple, while casual users can't be expected to shell out $232.99 -- even though hosting and domain name costs are taken care of.
As before, with Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro the six steps required to create a Web site are easy to follow. You visit Mr Site's own Web site, enter your activation code and choose a URL. If it's available, simply confirm your choice and get started.
You'll be offered a large array of design templates, background colours and fonts. Then you decide how many pages you want to have to start with, and type in some content. There are built-in tools for adding pictures and downloads.
Finally, hit publish and check out the results. You may have to wait 48 hours before the page goes live, but you can see what it's going to look like and tinker at your leisure.
The whole process is refreshingly user-friendly -- as long as you keep things basic. But once we started adding html coding, things got a bit more confused -- Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's content management system showed a certain tendency to mess around with our code between sessions. This is a common problem with such simplified Web-development programs, but we'd been led to expect better from Mr Site Takeaway Website.
To woo would-be Web entrepreneurs, Mr Site has added some simple traffic-tracking and search engine optimisation tools, and Mr Site Takeaway Website Pro's e-commerce facilities have been upgraded. These are impressive and easy to implement.
The $232.99 price is a big step up from the basic version of Mr Site, but like that program it includes a year's ownership of the URL. There is an additional renewal fee every month, however, so you'll be shelling out the same again in year two.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- TPSupport AnalystVIC
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- CCSplunk Software DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Banking/FinanceNSW
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- TPSenior Web Developer/Consultant - ServiceNowNSW