Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0.1
- Fast interface, Integrated mail, HTML editor
- Few bugs, Chat program not friendly, Niche appeal.
Despite SeaMonkey's rough edges, its bundling of a browser, an e-mail utility, and an HTML editor in one package is appealing.
Volunteer developers have resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscape--whose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey, version 1.0.1 of this free open-source suite integrates Web browsing, e-mail, chat, and an HTML editor in a robust, easy-to-use package that works well despite a few bugs.
In our informal tests, browsing with SeaMonkey was the same as using IE or Firefox, except the Back button was bullet-fast. Several bugs remain, however: When we specified my own font style and size, for example, some pages rendered incorrectly, jumbling images with text.
E-Mail, Chat, and HTML
The SeaMonkey Messenger e-mail and newsgroups program looks like its Mozilla and Netscape Messenger predecessors, but adds modern features such as a phishing-detection tool and the ability to view and access mail from several different accounts in a single inbox. Mozilla says that you should be able to import mail and address books from other Messenger clients as well as from Eudora, Outlook, and Outlook Express. While this held true for our Outlook Express mail and folders, we were unable to import mail or addresses from Outlook in our three attempts.
To access Internet Relay Chat in either Messenger or Navigator, you open ChatZilla, an open-source IRC instant-messaging program. For anyone accustomed to AIM, MSN Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger client software, the switch to ChatZilla will be jarring. Instead of a tool enabled by colorful buttons (and laden with advertisements), ChatZilla is less friendly; for example, you join chats by entering Web server addresses manually (links to several popular IRC networks, such as Moznet and Quakenet, are provided). ChatZilla is clearly designed for Web pros rather than for average, everyday users of chat.
As for the SeaMonkey Composer HTML editor (the old Netscape Composer), think of it as a light version of Microsoft FrontPage. It looks much like a word processor with big buttons for such operations as Publish, Link, Table, and Image, and it lets you work with a page's HTML code.
Despite SeaMonkey's rough edges, its bundling of a browser, an e-mail utility, and an HTML editor in one package is appealing. Though the suite isn't likely to convert many Firefox or Internet Explorer users, it will probably find a home with Web developers and others who pine for the Netscape era or who simply like having their entire Web tools in a single wrapper.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCLevel 1 Technical Help-desk OfficerNSW
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTBackend Java DeveloperOther
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Health - Data Linkage SystemQLD
- FTPartner Account Manager - Global Cloud Solution ProviderVIC
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence (BI) Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCProject Administrator - Marketing & DigitalVIC
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- FTData Analyst / Reporting Analyst - $496.00 per dayOther
- FTOperations/Service Manager - SHIFT WORKACT
- CCHelpdesk TechnicianNSW
- CCDatapower DeveloperACT
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerWA
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- TPProgram ManagerACT
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- FTField Services EngineerOther