Mozilla Firefox 3.0 beta 2
- Loads pages faster, can now zoom in on a whole page instead of just text, enhanced security
- You'll have to update all your extensions when you change to the new release version
The final version of Firefox should provide even more improvements to memory leaks and other areas of performance and, as a sleek, customisable browser this is still a very good application. Previous versions of Opera and Internet Explorer have done more in terms of interface design and security features, but Firefox is catching up.
The beta version of the Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Web browser is out now for you to try. Although more of an incremental upgrade than a revolution, Firefox 3.0 enjoys better security and bookmark management.
In the three years since version 1.0 was released, Firefox has, along with Opera, taken a large share of the PC browser market from Internet Explorer. Firefox provided a lean, stripped down browser that would respond quickly without excessive features -- but which could be customised in a number of ways.
On first appearances, there appears to be little that has changed since the previous release in the beta of Firefox 3.0. Most changes have taken place behind the scenes, but some of these are quite substantial changes to how you will use Firefox. The biggest of which is Firefox Places, which stores all your history and bookmarks in one place.
This works as a SQL database, which should mean that there will be new ways to access and manage that information through Firefox 3.0 extensions. The second beta has also enhanced the location bar to better match pages from your history and bookmarks.
Other important changes include enhancements to security: you are now warned of phishing sites and forged pages, and Firefox 3.0 integrates with antivirus software and the Parental Controls in Vista. In some cases, this is simply playing catch-up with competitors in terms of improving online security, but disabling insecure plug-ins is a bonus.
Another change is the ability to zoom in on a whole page, not simply text. While Firefox 2.0 regularly restored tabs from a previous session if the browser closed unexpectedly, Firefox will now also restore any zoom settings that you have with individual pages. Finally, the Firefox 3.0 Download Manager now allows you to pause and resume downloads.
The second beta of Firefox 3.0 has made considerable performance improvements and it now loads pages extremely quickly. However, be prepared to have to update all your extensions if you move over to the new release.
You can download the beta here.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG Gram 17 (2021) review: Super lightweight and primed for productivity
- 2 Microsoft Surface Pro 8 review: A superior tablet with baffling quirks
- 3 Acer Aspire Vero review: An eco-friendly Windows 11 laptop
- 4 Seagate Firecuda 530 (2TB) review: It's very, very fast
- 5 Windows 11 review: An unnecessary replacement for Windows 10
Latest News Articles
- Confirmed: Your passwords still suck
- Microsoft Edge adds quick password updates, efficiency mode
- Shop smarter with Microsoft Edge’s helpful new price change alerts
- Windows Media Player is getting a long-overdue upgrade
- The infamous Windows BSOD is going back to blue
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Best Black Friday Amazon deals in Australia in 2021
- This Aussie Black Friday deal on the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G is a real gem
- Best Black Friday tech deals: Save big on TVs, Wi-Fi gear and more
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies