Motorola MOTOROKR EQ3
Travel-friendly speaker system
- Compact, folding design, price
- Lacking in bass, distortion at higher volume levels
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is the perfect example of a basic portable speaker solution for personal audio devices. At this price, there is little to complain about.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is a compact folding speaker system that's as simple as they come. Its design means it is easily transported, making it especially handy for travellers.
The concept behind the EQ3 is fairly straightforward — a standard 3.5mm audio jack allows it to connect to devices such as iPods, portable media players and notebooks. Its main focus is on portability — the folding design makes the unit easy to transport. When folded closed, the EQ3 is almost small enough to fit into your pocket.
As expected from a device this size, sound quality isn't fantastic. However, considering the portability of the unit it does an admirable job. At a reasonable volume level, the EQ3 is punchy enough to listen to; its lack of bass is the major issue. Motorola claims the EQ3 delivers "rich, stereo sound with punchy bass", but this is nothing more than marketing speak. The unit sounds reasonable for its size, but it isn't going to win any awards for sound. Regardless, this is an issue for most compact speaker systems, not just this unit in particular. For the asking price, there is little to complain about.
A handy feature not seen on too many other devices is the ability for the EQ3 to act as an FM radio receiver for compatible devices. We tested this feature in and outside the office. We were able to get a solid signal outside, but it did struggle indoors.
The EQ3 runs on 4 x AAA batteries and Motorola includes these in the sales package. Motorola claims the included batteries will provide 12 hours of play time. Our suggestion would be to replace these with a rechargeable set, as this will be far more cost effective in the long run.
When not in use, the audio cable winds up in the battery compartment to avoid tangles. As the standard cable is quite short, Motorola includes an extension cable in the sales package, so you can position your source about a metre away from the unit if you wish.
Join the newsletter!
Toys for Boys
MSI looks to add executive chic to a winning laptop formula
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 4 XL review (2019): Full Resolution
- 2 Samsung Galaxy A70 Australian review
- 3 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 4 Moto G7 review: The new gold standard for budget buyers
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUS' ROG Phone 2 finds its way onto JB Hi-Fi shelves
- Amazon Australia bring back one of Prime Day's best deals for Black Friday
- Amazon just beat JB Hi-Fi's incredible Note 10 Black Friday deal
- Best Australian Black Friday Telstra deals
- Black Friday is a great chance to save money on Google's best value smartphone
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Google Pixel 4 XL review (2019): Full Resolution
- Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Show Off
- iPhone 11 Pro review: Identical looks, superlative cameras
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies