Motorola MOTOFONE F3
- Value for money, voice prompt assistance, very easy to use, hands-free speakerphone, new display technology
- Only two lines of display, no predictive text input
The MOTOFONE is a breakthrough product in the mobile phone market, and is an excellent option for anyone looking for a handset to simply do the basics. At this price, it's a clear winner.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
The Motorola MOTOFONE F3 is a budget phone that simply makes calls and sends SMS messages. There is no music playback, no camera and no Bluetooth. This back to basics handset has been designed with simplicity in mind, and is clearly ideal for users wanting a second phone, those who have never used a mobile phone before and elderly people, who are still coming to grips with using the latest technology.
The key feature of the MOTOFONE is ease of use. The menu system is simple, with a single button to access it, and an icon denoting each menu item. The MOTOFONE also includes what Motorola calls "voice prompt assistance". This is a voice which explains to the user what each feature of the phone does when you scroll through the menu. For example, when you hit the menu button and start scrolling through the icons, a voice is heard, saying "send a message", "read messages", "call history", "change ringtone", "set alarm" and "change time". The voice also plays when you enter each menu item as well, for example "write your message" or "enter time".
The MOTOFONE also includes another new feature, a display technology called EPD (Electronic Paper Display). This display possesses a paper-like high contrast appearance, consumes less power, and is both thin and light. The display doesn't include a backlight either, as this technology is enabled by electronic ink that carries a charge. Surprisingly, the MOTOFONE is clearly viewable in direct sunlight and also in the dark. Our only complaint with the display is the fact that it is only able to show two lines of text. Although the text is large and easy to read, typing messages does take a while to get used to, as only small words fit on the display. Furthermore, there is no predictive text input. Although this is understandable considering the simplicity of the MOTOFONE, heavy SMS users will not be pleased. Keep in mind though, that this is a phone designed for the simplest of needs.
The design of the MOTOFONE keeps in line with recent handsets from Motorola. Measuring just 114mm x 47mm x 9mm, and weighing just 70g, the MOTOFONE is one of the slimmest and lightest handsets on the market. Its keypad is completely flat, but the keys are fairly large and have a raised groove in between to distinguish them. The buttons are easy to press for both messaging and dialling phone numbers, so users shouldn't have too many problems in this regard.
The MOTOFONE consists of a fairly standard control layout. There is a four way navigational pad, dedicated menu and phonebook buttons and answer/end call keys. Above the screen are two indicator bars, for network signal strength and battery life respectively. Battery life is fairly good, rated at up to 450 minutes of talk time and up to 270 hours of standby time. Keep in mind that that the display doesn't use any power, so the MOTOFONE should last longer than a usual handset. On average, we charged the handset every three days.
Join the newsletter!
Brought to you by Norton Symantec
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- ZTE slams "unfair" trade ban
- Google pauses Allo, presses play on Chat
- Huawei reveal just when Australians will be able to buy the new P20 Pro
- ZTE's Android days may soon be over
- Google phases out first-gen Pixel smartphones
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCHealth & Safety Project OfficerNSW
- FTIncident ManagerOther
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM - Greenfield implementationVIC
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- TPDelivery ManagerACT
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCUnix Systems EngineerNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerQLD
- CCOffice Administrator - TelcoVIC
- CCIT Security AnalystACT
- FTIT Help-Desk Coordinator / ManagerOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Ticketing Support - Office365 / ExchangeOther
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTIntegration ArchitectOther
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - (Mid Level)Other
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AgileOther
- CCSenior Tech BA (Banking) , 6 months contract, CBD Location,NSW