Monster Cable Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones offer decent sound quality, but there are better in-ear headphones available for similar prices
- Stylish design, relatively comfortable, flat cable doesn't get tangled as easily as standard headphone cables, good bass, crisp and detailed sound
- "Tangle-free" cable isn't completely tangle-free, microphonics evident when cable is touched, average noise isolation, overpowering mid-range, no microphone for mobile phone use
Monster Cable's Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones have a stylish design and reasonable sound quality. Their noise isolation isn't the best and the advertised tangle-free cable isn’t completely tangle-free. If image is important to you then these headphones are a decent option, but there are better-sounding alternatives for the same price.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Claiming to deliver "incredibly accurate" music reproduction, Monster Cable's Beats by Dr Dre Tour are in-ear headphones with a striking design. The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones offer decent sound quality, but there are better in-ear phones available for similar prices.
A key feature of the Beats by Dr Dre Tour is the "tangle-free cable". This cable has a flat design that seems very flexible. Unfortunately, although the cable doesn't get tangled as easily or as often as the cords on most headphones, it isn't completely immune to tangles. The cable also annoyingly creates microphonics (vibrations that you can hear in the earphones) when touched.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones look pretty stylish. We liked the red cord and the glossy black and chrome ear tips. Monster includes five pairs of different sized silicone tips in the sales package. It was relatively easy to find a pair that was comfortable, even for long listening sessions. The headphones seem well constructed, though we weren’t able to test the longevity of the headphone jack connection; a part that often fails on in-ear headphones due to general wear and tear.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones don’t do a great job of noise isolation. If you're listening to music on a crowded train or in a chatty office, you will generally need to turn up the volume to block out most background noise.
The headphones produce capable but not outstanding sound quality. Bass is the strongest and most accurate audio element, thumping without overpowering other frequency ranges. Like the cheaper Lady Gaga headphones from Monster Cable, mid-range is a little overpowering, resulting in a warm sound. The Beats by Dr Dre Tour headphones have supposedly been designed for R 'n' B, hip-hop and similar music genres . The high-end is particularly crisp and detailed.
The Beats by Dr Dre Tour in-ear headphones don't come with an in-line microphone or controls, so you can't use them to handle phone calls in conjunction with your iPhone, for example.
Monster includes a small zip-up case in the sales package, which is handy for storage when travelling.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- Review: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTUX / UI DeveloperVIC
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistACT
- FTSenior BI Developer- Azure, Power BI, SSRS, SSIS, AgileOther
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPOffice 365 EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Change Manager (Banking background)Other
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change Analyst - Part-timeOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTeCommerce Integration Support LeadVIC
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSourcing SpecialistOther
- TPTechnical Delivery Manager - Network & VoiceQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior SQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCDelivery ManagerACT
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTETL AnalystOther
- CCLinux Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCDeveloper - KofaxNSW
- CCSenior Data AnalystNSW