Millennius eMperor 40" Full HD LCD TV
This budget Millennius LCD TV doesn't stand out from the crowd, but it performs acceptably
- Reasonably cheap for a medium-size 1080p LCD TV
- Low contrast ratio, troublesome interface navigation and poor remote control
The Millennius eMperor 40" Full HD LCD TV has a very similar design, similar interface and similar picture quality to most of the other budget LCD televisions we've seen. It's not bad and doesn't have any crippling problems, but it fails to stand out from its competition.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Millennius eMperor 40" is a 40in LCD television with a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, a 1080p native resolution and 2 HDMI inputs. It fits squarely into the budget market with a $749 price tag that's neither particularly low nor excessively high. If you need an LCD TV and are primarily interested in a low price tag, the Millennius eMperor is worth some consideration.
With a slightly bulbous bezel and a glossy black finish, the Millennius eMperor 40" Full HD LCD TV looks largely the same as other generic, low-price televisions such as the Cornea 1080PRO. The LCD TV's buttons are arranged on the right-hand side, and a remote control is included. Two HDMI ports are the primary audio/video inputs, but VGA, S-Video, component and composite connectors are also built in.
We found the television did not register remote control inputs occasionally — although pointing the remote directly at the right side of the television guarantees input — and the lag between pressing a button and receiving a response was quite long. This can get annoying, especially during initial setup when several settings need to be altered and finetuned. Navigating the menu interface, which requires occasionally entering sub-menus, can be a painful experience if you accidentally hit the wrong button. Changing the channel was also a finicky process.
The Millennius eMperor uses a 40in Samsung panel that is a few generations old — this is evident from its low static and dynamic contrast ratings and its slow response time of 6ms. The eMperor' viewing angles are reasonably good, maintaining correct colour and contrast levels until severe off-axis angles are reached. This makes it a reasonable choice for watching with the rest of your family.
Picture quality from the Millennius eMperor 40" LCD television is unspectacular. It doesn't have any 100Hz image processing, so video can occasionally look jumpy.
When using a good quality 1080p source, such as the Blu-ray version of Terminator: Salvation, fine image detail is evident and the picture is sharp and crisp. The television's internal HD tuner doesn't fare as well, with broadcast television generally looking blocky and lacking detail in our tests; this was evident with both standard- and high-definition channels. For general television and DVD watching the Millenius eMperor is able to reproduce images with reasonable contrast and colour. More demanding high-definition content — the Blu-ray version of The Dark Knight comes to mind — the panel's low contrast leads to black crush and loss of detail in bright or dark areas of the screen.
The Millennius eMperor 40" is a competent television if you're not too concerned with image quality. At $749 it's not too expensive — it may make a good second television for a large bedroom or study.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's squashing of malicious Tizen smart TV bugs is turning messy
- Report says Samsung's Tizen OS on smart TVs is a virtual playground for hackers
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital BA | App Dev Environment | 6 month contract roleOther
- FTSenior Agile ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- FTSupport AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTEmail Marketing Specialist/ Campaign SpecialistOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- TPProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - SMEOther
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- CCDigital Content SpecialistNSW
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- TPTest ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Records ManagerACT
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - ArmidaleNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Risk Analyst | 6mth ContractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther