Microspot 3D Toolbox
- Some instability
This is a useful 3-D tool with potential for Mac users on a budget.
Price$ 15.00 (AUD)
Note: The price of this product is in US$.
Microspot 3D Toolbox is a bit of a curiosity: it's a truly modular 3-D application. You start off with a free base application that's useful in its own right as an object viewer. It lets you open 3DMF, Google Sketchup (.SKP) and 3DS files. If you've got 3DS Max, Vue or Poser in your workflow, you can import a combination of models from them — and Sketchup — into the same scene.
This scene can then be customised by dragging image files into the scene from the desktop, to create backgrounds and provide textures for objects. Texture replacement on models can take a bit of time, but if you click Ungroup you can separate models into component parts ready for individual texture application. You can also drill down further through the levels of grouping contained within the object, by using the Edit Group Menu command or alternatively Option-double clicking the 3-D object. Either method will open a new sub-document window with the object broken down into its components.
Once you've done this, holding down Ctrl and dragging textures onto the component will restrict their application to that single component. If you're thinking of buying Photoshop Extended for its 3-D texturing capabilities, you might want to check this out first.
However, if you want to save work, or do anything complicated, you'll need to purchase a serial number. This opens up the Library, Save and Export functions. You'll then also have access to Microspot's custom library and be able to start working with the plug-in pack modules. These modules, available for an additional cost, offer textures, modelling primitives, wall-creation tools and modelling tools. You can make the output look more natural by adding the Light and Render pack, which offers point lights, spotlights, sun and ambient brightness, and three renderers, including a raytrace renderer.
The most useful module is the Animation pack, which includes the Animation Tweener palette. This displays all animated objects, as well as any camera and light animations. You can animate several objects using variable 'tween' timings, as if they were on separate animation timeline tracks. The interface is slow to update in places, but the finished result looks fine once exported to QuickTime.
The Camera and Alignment pack is useful for animation too, with palettes for aligning objects, aligning the camera and nudging objects into place and switching the cursor options.
Several actions, such as Apply Gravity or Add Base Plate, provide workflow shortcuts when working in 3-D space. The base plate is a ground plane to cast shadows onto while rendering, but you'll need the Light & Render pack to use anything but wireframe and preview rendering.
The application crashed a couple of times, so it's essential to save your work.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPAzure DevOps ConsultantNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- FTSolution Architect - Security/DigitalVIC
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DevelopersACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Reporting) - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTDisaster Recovery Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPSenior Test Analyst - GIS DrupalNSW
- FTStrategic Sourcing ManagerOther