Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000
- Comfortable, Easy to use, Accurate, Stylish design, Compatible with Mac
- Not wireless, No included software
The Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 is an ideal replacement for those slow and difficult to grasp Notebook mice.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
We all know that the inbuilt notebook mice just don't cut the mustard. They are delicate, difficult to get used to and considerably slow down your work speed. Thankfully, Microsoft has released a replacement mouse specifically targeted at notebook users - and the end result is quite pleasing.
The Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 borrows a few features from its larger desktop siblings in order to provide a comfortable and pleasant experience for Notebook users. The design itself is similar to some larger sized mice - rubber comfort grips on either side, left and right click buttons and a tilt wheel which provides convenient four way scrolling. We particularly liked the look of the bright blue light at the back of the mouse when it's powered up and the silver and blue colour scheme was quite appealing.
Using the mouse is a comfortable and effortless experience, even if its small size may take some getting used to. Its design slopes up towards the back, meaning that the palm of your hand conveniently rests at the top of the unit. The rubber grips worked well and the thumb button was perfectly placed, ensuring that we didn't have to move our hand to access it.
The 1000 dpi, 6000 FPS optical technology means that the Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 is precise and responsive. During testing, we experienced no problems at all and the tracking and accuracy was smooth throughout use. We also liked the 4-way scroll wheel, which was comfortable and intuitive to use. The Magnifier function (linked to the thumb button) also worked well. You simply point and press the button to enlarge details on the screen and this is particularly effective for notebooks with smaller display screens.
Unfortunately, the Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 isn't wireless, however this does eliminate the need for batteries. The device is plug and play and requires no software to be installed. You simply plug it into a free USB port on your notebook and it's ready for use. This is quite convenient, especially considering many notebook users require quick and easy access to their machines and don't have time to deal with software installations.
In saying this, Microsoft could have included some software in the package for those who like to customize their mice. Many users have specific functions associated to certain buttons on their peripherals for quick launching programs etc, but you'll have to download the IntelliPoint software from the Microsoft website should you wish to do this. Thankfully, Microsoft hasn't neglected Macintosh users though - as the Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 is completely compatible with Mac OS X 10.2 and higher.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- AMD's Ryzen Pro launch reveals Ryzen 3 details
- AMD, Nvidia coin mining graphics cards appear as gaming GPU shortage intensifies
- Radeon Vega Frontier Edition: Benchmarks and behind-the-scenes AMD interview
- Hands-on: AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs Nvidia Titan Xp
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCGaming DevelopersWA
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTProject AnalystOther
- CCSenior SQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Identity ManagementOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTFront End Developer- Squiz, bootstrap, HTML5, CSS3 and jQueryOther
- FTSenior Project LeadOther
- FTTechnical LeadOther
- FTL&D Instructional DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - DesktopOther
- CCServiceNow Technical Architect - CANBERRA BASEDSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTPre Sales Architect - Cyber SecurityNSW
- FTIT Development Team LeadNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCBusiness Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTUX / UI DeveloperVIC
- FTAgile Project Manager - Applications backgroundOther
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther