Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000
Measuring just 41x109x50mm, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is one of the smallest webcams we've reviewed.
- Captures video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp
- Bright lighting will result in 'light-flare'
Ideal for families, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 ensures PC users can capture good quality HD video, while also having some fun with the images and video they shoot.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is sleek black with a chrome accent and an unusual rubber clip. This could be moulded to fit the back of a laptop screen or monitor and also allowed the lens to be tilted up or down.
Setup was a breeze. Install the software bundled with the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 on to your PC and then connect the webcam to your machine via USB and you’re ready to use the device.
It’s capable of capturing video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp. We found that while the video was smooth and clear with no pixellation, our biggest gripe was the flare of our harsh office strip lighting. And while TrueColour technology darkened the image, ensuring skin tones were more realistic, it didn’t dim the flare on the lights. The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000's noise-cancelling microphone meant we could hear sound of the video very clearly. Hardly any background noise was picked up.
We also loved the animations that we could lay on top of the video or images. From giving ourselves wigs, hats and glasses to blurring the background of the video, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 certainly allowed us to have some fun while using a webcam.
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 can be used with Microsoft’s own software, but it is also compatible with instant-messaging programs including Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, as well as VoIP services.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - Wifi TechnologiesOther
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- FTTransformation SpecialistQLD
- CCIP Network EngineerNSW
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- CCMainframe DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTChange and Business Deployment SpecialistOther
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Consultant - Must have baseline or NV1 clearanceOther
- FTPresales Security ConsultantWA
- FTEnterprise Software/Product Sales ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - BrisbaneNSW
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideVIC
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- TPDeployment EngineerVIC
- FTJunior/Mid Front-end Developer/DesignerOther
- FTUI / UX Lead DesignerQLD
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- CCGraph Database Specialist - TelcoVIC