Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000
Shortcut keys galore
- Stylish, streamlined design, multitude of customisable shortcut keys, keys are soft to touch and comfortable
- Not wireless, space bar is louder than other keys
If you aren’t hell-bent on a wireless keyboard then the Digital Media Keyboard is an excellent option, particularly for Windows XP and Vista users.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Sporting a stylish, streamlined design and featuring a large set of media controls for quick access to commonly used applications, Microsoft's Digital Media Keyboard 3000 is a versatile and comfortable keyboard that is ideal for the office.
The Digital Media Keyboard 3000 is somewhat larger than a regular keyboard, thanks mainly to the inclusion of several media controls, but the size isn't a hindrance. When sitting on a desk, the curved shape provides a comfortable typing platform, and the contoured edge and matte black and silver finish create a professional, if not fashionable, look.
The Digital Media Keyboard 3000 isn't wireless, so you won't be able to use it away from the desk. Setup is simple — simply install the included software and then plug the keyboard into a spare USB port on your PC or Mac. Although it's designed to work in tandem with Windows Vista, the keyboard operates without any issues on Max OS X Leopard.
The keys on the Digital Media Keyboard 3000 are excellent. The keyboard is a standard QWERTY layout and the keys have a slightly curved shape and are soft to touch, making it very comfortable to type on. Further, the keyboard is rather quiet, with heavy keystrokes making minimal noise — although the space bar does tend to make an annoyingly louder noise than other keys.
As this is a media keyboard, Microsoft has included plenty of shortcut keys. The top row of the keyboard contains most of these, beginning with buttons for email, Internet home page, Windows Messenger and Windows Media Player. Media controls allow you to navigate to the next or previous track, play, pause, and control volume, with a mute button also present. Sandwiched between these sets of keys are five programmable shortcut keys that you can assign to a number of folders, files or even Web pages.
Below the top row of shortcut keys are a row of F keys that double as more shortcut buttons. These keys include functions related to word processing, such as undo, redo, new page, save and print page. Perhaps the two shortcut buttons we valued most were the zoom buttons on the left side of the keyboard and the Windows Flip 3D key. The latter works similar to Expose on Mac OS X — you can view a 3D overlay of all open windows and cycle through them.
The accompanying software is simple to install and use. Conveniently, you can customise most of the key assignments.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ unveils a pair of new ergonomic eSports mice
- Crucial Launches Highest Density 128GB DDR4 LRDIMM Server Memory
- The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Will Now Resist the Elements
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCSystems / Storage EngineerWA
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications/Business)NSW
- TPIT OfficerVIC
- FTOnboarding Specialist / Service Design - ITIL | ServiceNowOther
- FTProgram CoordinatorACT
- CCProject Delivery Lead - Oracle Banking Platform - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTMachine Learning Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Network ArchitectOther
- CCAutomation Test ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior MySQL Database AdministratorNSW
- CCAutomation Designer (Solutions Architect) - Robotics (RPA) - SydneyNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCData ScientistVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTDeveloper - TallymanOther
- FTService Desk ConsultantOther