Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1
A welcome addition, but don't trash your existing tools yet.
In addition to spyware and adware detection and removal, Microsoft AntiSpyware includes a variety of security and privacy tools, such as one that alerts you if someone tries to piggyback bandwidth off your wireless network.
The free 6.4MB beta works with Windows XP, 2000 and Server 2003. It has an intuitive interface broken down into three main tabs: Scanning, Real-Time Protection, and Advanced Tools, with privacy and security features.
We were able to identify the same three spyware threats that veteran spyware detectors Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware found (although the latter scanned the fastest). Once threats are identified, you receive detailed information including threat location, risk rating and recommended course of action. You can also schedule regular scans complete with automatic deletion or quarantining.
Microsoft relies on the SpyNet community network (a user network sharing related and up-to-date threat details) for spyware and adware signature updates.
A host of Real-Time Protection tab tools help you defend often targeted key system processes, applications, and Internet features. Spam Zombie Prevention makes sure your PC isn't turned into a spam-spewing machine and Winsock Layer Service Provider assures you that spyware isn't monitoring/recording network traffic. You can also watch over programs set to start automatically when Windows loads, and stop your Explorer browser toolbar, bookmarks or Start page being changed.
The Advanced Features tab offers three Microsoft-centric tools: Browser Hijack Restore (only supporting Internet Explorer), System Explorer, and Tracks Erase. Sceptics will find plenty to criticise, but Microsoft is headed in the right direction. We just hope it remains free.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTJunior Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTPractice Director DevelopmentSA
- TPAPS6 Business AnalystACT
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTOffice Manager | Start-up | Global Cloud ProviderVIC
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- CCAPI Developer - ApigeeVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTIT Service Delivery Manager - Workplace Technology (O365 & SP)Other