Memorex TravelDrive Portable
80GB external hard drive
- Not much in the way of software
Overall, we were underwhelmed by the Memorex TravelDrive Portable; a solid but less than stellar external hard drive
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
The Memorex TravelDrive Portable is an 80GB USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 external hard drive.
The first thing we did with the Memorex TravelDrive Portable was to swap its dull grey faceplates for the alternative white ones supplied in the pack. This made the run-of-the-mill 2.5in external hard drive slightly more pleasing to the eye, but the overall build quality of this drive is nothing to write home about.
Memorex is keen to make clear that it's not just a blank media supplier; it's also a vendor of drives in its own right. Based on this evidence, however, Iomega, LaCie et al need lose little sleep worrying about losing market share.
The Memorex TravelDrive Portable comes with two USB connectors. Using a single port, you can connect at USB 1.1 while the extra juice of the secondary connection helps ramp things up to the full USB 2.0.
Memorex has helpfully supplied ample length cables lest your USB ports are distant from each other. In the case of the Samsung laptop we used for our drive to Vista laptop tests, this was just as well.
The Memorex TravelDrive Portable seemed unable to draw full power from a single cable so we needed to have both attached at all times. The two speed settings are clearly indicated on the drive by the green and red LED lights it displays.
When in full power mode the Memorex TravelDrive Portable works well enough. It turned in a creditable performance across all our tests. In fact, it was the fastest of the half dozen drives we tested recently at backing up the 12.3GB archive stored on our laptop. It was mid-field for the rest of the time trials. HDTach gave it a decent report too for its sustained transfer speeds.
Overall however, we were underwhelmed by the Memorex TravelDrive Portable. It didn't offer much in the way of software, so you're left with the task of transferring files to and from laptops and desktop PCs yourself.
Although there's a one-touch button to invoke a file transfer, this is only useful if you want to create a fresh archive.
There's a scheduler to automate full and incremental backups option — but the Memorex TravelDrive Portable lacks the ability to keep older versions of files. This sophisticated sort of feature marks out the better drives such as the WD and restoring older versions is now an option both Mac and Windows users are offered by their operating systems and therefore becoming accustomed to expect.
You can of course create multiple archives on your Memorex TravelDrive Portable or save additional versions of specific files individually, but this is a clumsy approach and seems unnecessary given the finesse of Vista's Shadow Copies or Leopard's Time Machine.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect/ConsultantOther
- FTSAP CRM FunctionalistOther
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - BankingVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Technical backgroundVIC
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DevelopersACT
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerACT