McAfee Australia Total Protection 2008
- High level of protection, excellent parental controls and SiteAdvisor+
- Installation takes long, expensive
The range of tools and the high level of protection offered by McAfee Total Protection 2008 is impressive -- it has powerful antivirus and very good spam protection. The parental controls and SiteAdvisor+ are excellent. It's also easy to use. However, at $129.95 it's a fairly expensive proposition, so you'll need to be sure you're going to use most of its features.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Cast very much in the same mould as Live One Care and Norton 360, McAfee Total Protection 2008 does what it says on the tin -- it aims to have every possible PC disaster vector covered. McAfee Total Protection 2008 will protect you from viruses, spyware, hackers, identity theft, dubious Web sites and data loss. It also simplifies network file sharing and increases wireless network security. Its price, $129.95, puts McAfee Total Protection 2008 on a par with Norton 360. Interestingly, McAfee offers continual upgrades as well as updates -- so if during your year's subscription a new version is released, you'll be upgraded to the new version.
The original version, McAfee Total Protection 2007, had a similar features set, but its many excellent elements were let down by some comparatively weak components. Improvements abound with McAfee Total Protection 2008. It's faster, for a start. Another problem with the previous version was an excess of alerts. These seem to have been tamed in McAfee Total Protection 2008 -- you can determine what alerts and warnings you want to receive. McAfee Total Protection 2008 also has a 'do not disturb' low-impact mode that kicks in whenever the PC switches to full-screen mode (for example, when playing a game or watching a movie). McAfee Total Protection 2008 will keep the interruptions and resource-intensive activities to a minimum, thus allowing your machine to make a better job of playing games or movies, but while continuing to apply basic (and essential) protection.
McAfee Total Protection 2008's parental controls are now much easier to use, while the online support has also been enhanced. If you have any errors, a Virtual Technician gives your PC a robotic going over, and if it can't fix the problems for you, it can put you in touch (via live chat) with a real human -- who'll then be equipped with plenty of additional and specific information on your PC's setup, thus giving them a better chance of solving your problem.
Like the Norton 2008 range, McAfee Total Protection 2008 also has a home network manager, letting you check the status of McAfee Total Protection 2008 software on other PCs on the network -- if any are flagged with an error you rectify it, unlike its Norton rivals. If networking has got the better of you, McAfee Total Protection 2008 allows you to share files with other 'trusted' PCs. The backup feature remains unchanged -- it will automatically backup items on your Desktop and My Documents folder to a CD/DVD, external drive or network drive.
Installation took a relatively long time -- it was about 20 minutes before the McAfee Total Protection 2008 installation was complete. And, if you want to use the built-in backup service, you also have to install Microsoft's .NET Framework 1.1. McAfee Total Protection 2008's console, Security Center, holds everything together. Very much like its predecessor, it has clean simple design that makes it relatively easy to tame what is after all a fairly complex suite. As with rival products, the well-being of your PC is indicated by a large green tick. If you see a yellow exclamation mark or a red X, all you have to do is click on the Fix button to put things right.
As before, McAfee Total Protection 2008's protection is split into four categories: Computer & Files, Internet & Network, E-mail & IM, and Parental Controls. Selecting any one reveals the current plus a link to a configuration page. Arguably, Computer & Files is the most important category as this takes care of antivirus and spyware using McAfee's VirusScan technology. McAfee Total Protection 2008 still uses the heuristic-based SystemGuards -- real-time monitors that look out for changes to the system.
McAfee Total Protection 2008's antiphishing protection has had a makeover, courtesy of SiteAdvisor+. The basic version of SiteAdvisor offers protection against visiting undesirable Web by highlighting sites that are known to be suspicious or dubious. With SiteAdvisor+, password protection can be activated so that dubious sites can only be accessed if the user has the correct password. SiteAdvisor+ can also analyse Web links in e-mail and IM clients, so giving parents (for example) a considerable amount of control over what their children can and can't see.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTWeb Content WriterACT
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerACT
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - ImprovementQLD
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW