McAfee Internet Security 2011
McAfee Internet Security 2011: Low impact on PC performance
- Low impact on PC performance
- Mediocre detection results
McAfee Internet Security 2011 put up fairly mediocre scores in malware detection tests, though it can be had at a reasonable price.
Price$ 74.96 (AUD)
Bargain hunters: Be patient and you'll often find McAfee on sale at a deep discount: The company's Internet Security 2011 (regularly $74.96 for one year, three PCs as of 12/2/2010) is often available for as little as $50, making it by far the cheapest way to secure the PCs you have at home.
With that said, it put up mediocre scores in overall blocking, detection, and cleanup of malware.
In our tests, McAfee turned in solid numbers in detecting known malware (98.7 percent), but the picture grows dim after that. It stopped just 17 out of 25 real-world attacks, earning it a distant last place in our roundup (the 12th place application in this test stopped 21 attacks). These results mean that it may struggle at blocking new, unknown malware. McAfee also had the worst false positive results in our tests, flagging 10 times as many safe files as malware as some of its competitors. McAfee's 60 percent success rate at scrubbing active malware components from already infected systems placed it behind the pack in that test, too.
McAfee also won little praise in our investigation of scanning speed. In on-demand scans and on-access scans the application scored 9th and 8th place, respectively. But things brightened up quite a bit when we benchmarked our system with McAfee running in the background: All told, McAfee had a minimal impact on PC performance.
Into this confusing and murky picture comes the McAfee interface, which is a little unorthodox but still relatively easy to use. For example, the tool offers no readily apparent way to scan your system manually, but clicking either the "Real-Time Scanning" text or "Virus and Spyware Protection" reveals an option to do so. Cryptically, you'll only find scan options under the former text, although both will also let you create scheduled scans.
Actual settings in McAfee Internet Security are quite slim, and even the devoted tinkerer will find only a few options to configure them, most of which are fine as defaults.
In addition to the usual firewall and spam protectors, McAfee Internet Security includes a number of extras, including parental controls, an online backup tool, hard drive defragmenter, and a secure-delete data scrubber. That said, we aren't totally sold on the QuickClean PC optimization tool that's installed by default, what with its claims to "erase unnecessary files, such as old ActiveX programs." Are most users worried about their hard drives being clogged by mountains of ActiveX programs? Is anyone?
McAfee's solid performance at detecting common, known malware is enough to merit some consideration, but its dismal real-world malware blocking and over-the-top problem with false positives are enough to give us serious pause, no matter how great the deal is.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Australians targeted by Windows 10 phishing attacks
- How a burglar can make a copy of your door key, from a Facebook picture
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer/ ConsultantVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsNSW
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager (Applications) - 2 positionsQLD
- FTIT Command Centre Support EngineerVIC
- TPSupport Engineer (Security Tools)VIC
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTDashboard Developer | up to $92 p/hrVIC
- FTBI Developers - 4 positionsQLD
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTInformation Architect / Data Architect- ETL, BINSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- TPSenior Deployment Officer (Office 365)QLD
- TPSQL Database AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC