Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini
- OneTouch button, Maxtor Manager software, size
- Not e-SATA
A very useful drive for the tech-savvy and not so tech-savvy alike. If you like to share data, or simply need to access two computers regularly you'll find this very handy.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's OneTouch 4 Mini is a simple device that's made quite useful with some basic but helpful software. This small, dare we say, funky looking portable hard drive is a great option and a must have for regular users of multiple PCs or those wishing to share their data wealth with friends and colleagues. The OneTouch name comes from a single button on the enclosure, which instantly performs a task you've allocated, such as a backup or synchronisation, but more on that later.
The OneTouch 4 Mini's compact enclosure (124x81x15mm) only weighs around 167g and is so slim it hardly leaves any room for the internal circuits and cabling that it must invariably have. This particular model has a 160GB hard drive but the Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini is also available in 80GB and 120GB formats.
Beyond the drive itself, nothing else is really required, except of course for a USB cable which is supplied. The Maxtor Manager software is on the drive itself, so you won't even need a disc to install it from. Beyond the general purpose of data transport or storage it's this software which makes the drive so useful.
Maxtor Manager is an amalgamation of several applications, including backup, synchronisation and security features. The backup side of things is split into two categories; file backup and SafetyDrill. SafetyDrill is essentially ghosting software, allowing you to make a complete backup of your hard drive. This feature is ideal in the event of a worst-case scenario-type problem, such as a hard drive crash or virus, allowing you to restore your entire system to exactly the way it was when you made the backup. It's a lengthy process, and is therefore an irregular backup for important incremental changes.
The other backup is for your individual files only, helping you keep documents, music and other important files safe from any number of possible problems. This section is divided into two options; simple and custom. The simple backup only saves your My Documents folder, while the custom backup allows you to select the folders you'd like to have protected. This won't take nearly as long as the SafetyDrill and can be done daily to ensure the security of your files.
The other key feature of the software is the synchronisation tool. Again, this tool has a simple or custom option. At the end of the day you can hit synchronise and the software will synchronise the files on your PC to the OneTouch. Then, when you get home just hit synchronise again and Bob's your uncle.
Your OneTouch button can be set to run any one of these features. It doubles as the hard drive activity light and is clearly visible day and night. It's very easy to use. For instance, set it to do a simple backup, make sure you save all important files into the My Documents folder, then, quite simply, at the end of a busy session at work, school or university just hit the OneTouch button and the backup gets underway without having to mess around with the software at all.
The drive can also be setup with a password, plus you can have the OneTouch encrypt all files for further security. No power cable is included as the OneTouch 4 Mini draws its power from the USB cable. The cable has two USB ports for the PC, in case the port is not powered; it's able to draw enough power from two non-powered ports to run.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCLinux System AdministrationVIC
- FTTableau DeveloperQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperWA
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- TPSupport Java RoleNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCBusiness Architect/Strategy AnalystVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPBusiness Analysis, Design and Configuration ManagerQLD
- FTChange ManagerSA
- FTEngineer - Unix/LinuxOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- FTProject Manager (Network & Security)Other
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther