Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 300GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10
- Fluid dynamic bearings, Quiet, High transfer rates
- None to speak of.
While not only being a quality product, the diamondmax range has the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Maxtor's DiamondMax 10 hard drives greatly impressed us with their superb performances and low noise emissions.
They are definitely a far cry from the DiamondMax 9 range of drives, which we have found to be slow and noisy. Capacities for the Diamondmax 10 drives start at 80GB, and all the drives in the range feature a spin speed of 7200rpm. Drives up to 200GB have an 8MB cache buffer. Larger drives have a 16MB cache buffer.
The Maxtor DiamondMax 10 has fluid dynamic bearings, which improves the longevity of the drives and reduces their noise. All DiamondMax 10 drives also support native command queuing (NCQ).
NCQ rearranges data requests from applications to increase access efficiency. Its function is to organise seek operations so that they occur in a more logical order, minimising the time it takes for the drive heads to go from one request to another.
In this review, we looked at the 160GB, 200GB and 300GB DiamondMax 10 drives.
When it comes to moving massive amounts of data, the DiamondMax 10 range is nearly unbeatable. The 300GB drive, in particular, with its 16MB cache buffer produced an incredible file transfer rate of 1.059GB per minute! We were also pleased to note that its temperature during testing did not exceed 44 degrees.
The smaller capacity drives also fared very well, with the 200GB managing 932MB per minute, with a maximum running temperature of 41 degrees. The 160GB drive achieved 935MB per minute with a maximum running temperature of 40.8 degrees.
Noise was not an issue for any of the three drives; we could barely hear them at all during our tests.
What's interesting about these DiamondMax 10 drives is that, apart from having advanced features such as NCQ and in some cases up to 16MB cache buffers, they also had, at the time of testing, the lowest dollar-per-gigabyte cost in their class.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDevOps Engineer - Financial ServicesOther
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- FTHealthcare Pre-Sales Consultant - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM DEVELOPER - BASELINE CLEARANCE REQUIRED - CANBERRAACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- FTIntegration Specialist (HL7)Other
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- TPProject Manager - MortgagesNSW
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW