Maxon Cinema 4D R11
Maxon’s mid-range 3-D suite.
- Faster operation; 64-bit support on Mac OS X, Projection Man, rendering enhancements, non-linear animation; ghosting, Doodle tool, custom brush and Collada support, BodyPaint 3D included with core application
- Some bugs, no Linux support, more expensive than nearest competitor
Maxon claims R11 renders about twice as fast as version R10.5, and it does seem like a rapid application all round. While its competitor LightWave 3D is slightly less expensive, the core application, bundled as it is with BodyPaint3D, is still well-priced and specified for single 3D artists. Studios, however, will probably find the best value in buying one of the bundles.
Another big plus is non-linear animation in the Timeline, offering two methods of combining recorded data. The motion-layer method allows you to set up an animated sequence from a series of keyframe animations, either imported from motion-capture data or created manually.
These can be converted into motion sources — basically self-contained animation presets — and motion clips which reference the animation data contained within. The motion clips contain no keyframes of their own and can be mixed together in a similar fashion to video editing. They are arranged horizontally on the timeline and you can add transitions to create a seamless morph from one clip to the next.
The second method uses Animation Layers, which stack the animated moves in hierarchical fashion. So you could have a character shake its head on one layer, move forward on the next and bounce up and down on the third.
Stacking the layers in this way allows a sequence of movements to be applied simultaneously, but also leaves it open to quick editing by turning on or off layers in the hierarchy.
The Mocca animation module adds a 3D ghosting function, allowing a motion path to be displayed in onion-skinning mode to give an impression of the movement of an object prior to and after the current frame. It’s simple to activate through the Display tag, where a dedicated dialog box includes draw modes, frame ranges and custom colours for ghosts. Traditional character animators will welcome this facility and also the level of finetuning.
Another tool for animators is the Doodle tool, which allows you to annotate directly in the viewports — useful for adding comments to a scene in a studio environment. The Doodle tool can be animated and has options for creating notes or sketches.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Acer Predator Triton 300 SE review: Affordable GeForce RTX performance in a slim package
- 2 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 3 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Software can overclock your Ryzen CPU now, too
- Unpatched Office attack reminds us: Don't click every doc you're sent
- Windows 11's dark mode has its own dark sounds
- Microsoft adds another Start to Windows
- Microsoft unveils space program for Aussie start-ups
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: The cheapest way to get these new handsets in Australia
- How to download proof of Covid-19 vaccination to your smartphone in Australia
- TCL releases a sub-$300 5G smartphone in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies