Rescue Your Videotapes
From analog to digital
- Limited editing options, fiddly to set up, could do with better integration
Rescue Your Videotapes! aims to provide everything you need to transfer your VHS, Betamax or Hi8 collection to DVD. The software’s good, the hardware’s good, but the package could do with better integration of the two. It’s fiddly to get going, but once things are running smoothly, there are enough automated editing and DVD front-end functions to make a professional conversions easy and quick.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
If you have a large collection of legacy video tapes, the Magix Rescue Your Videotapes kit is an excellent way to transfer them to DVD.
Rescue Your Videotapes! combines hardware and software intelligently, and the Magix box contains a full copy of Movies on DVD 7, Magix's software which handles video capture, editing and DVD burning.
The hardware comprises an analog-to-digital video capture device, which connects into a USB socket where it derives its power. A Scart-to-composite video cable is included, which plugs into a VHS video tape recorder. There's even a USB extension lead, so there's no need to fiddle round the back of the PC.
Connecting up the hardware is easy enough, but installing the software isn't as straightforward as it could be. It's a shame installing Movies on DVD 7 doesn't install the capture device driver, too — this is a separate operation. When you start to record a video, it's quite likely nothing will appear on the preview screen, as the USB device is not made default if you already have a video card with a composite input — as many do.
These initial teething troubles quickly fade, though, once you start using the program properly. All kinds of material can be captured: from VHS or even Betamax tapes, from a camcorder, or from recordings made on a PVR with a hard drive. Video can be captured from 160x120 resolution at 12.5fps for web use, up to 720x576 ('DVD quality').
Once in place, although there isn't the same depth of editing function found in Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements, there's scope to customise your video. There's automatic scene detection, which works well, and ad detection, to remove unwanted advert breaks. This sometimes needs some manual trimming to tidy up the joins. You can also add titles and use the pre-defined, DVD front-end menus to present content in an easy-to use way before burning to disc.
Much of the editing work is automated and can be done with a few clicks, so if there's a lot of material to transfer, you don't have to fiddle around repeating many, intricate manipulations on each set of clips or programmes.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTPrinciple Project Manager- HRISOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSAP PSCD Analyst and PSCD FunctionalistOther
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Field Services Telecommunication RiggerACT
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- FTSecurity Leads - $800 per dayOther
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- CCUser Experience DesignersACT
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- FTPayments Solution DesignerNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- CCITSM Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Systems EngineerOther
- FTDigital BA / Product Owner / 3 Month ContractOther